BT's new strategy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

BT's new strategy.

Quotes from today's FT...
BT ramps up broadband plan
Ultra-fast network to run via 2.5m homes
Openreach is ‘willing to be aggressive’

BT is to more than double the number of homes able to use the company’s ultra-fast broadband network, in a major revision of its next-generation infrastructure plans.
BT’s network – offering download speeds of up to 100 megabits per second – will run past at least 2.5m homes by 2012, or 10 per cent of the UK’s households. When it unveiled the original plans last year, BT said the 100 mbps network would only run past 1m homes.

It goes on to say that Fibre-to-the-Cabinet is now planned for 7.5 million homes, with F-to-the-home for 2.5 million.
Ermmmm.....  did we ought to get the existing system working properly first? Or is it being slowly abandoned in favour of fibre networks?
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: BT's new strategy.

Quote from: nozzer
Ermmmm.....  did we ought to get the existing system working properly first? Or is it being slowly abandoned in favour of fibre networks?

You noticed that too huh?
It does seem like they're abandoning previously acceptable connections in favour of faster and faster ones. What they're forgetting though is that many people can't even get broadband down a copper phone line so whats the point working on ultra fast connections? What they should be doing is concentrating their efforts on ensuring that everyone can get a good basic standard of broadband in the first place. Once they've finished that little task move onwards and upwards.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

BT’s network – offering download speeds of up to 100 megabits per second – will run past at least 2.5m homes by 2012,

Wouldn't it be better to run this into peoples homes?

Fixes: 47

At that speed it's got no chance of turning corners Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: nozzer

The reason the existing system ADSL doesn't work that well for some is it uses copper pairs designed just for audio up to 5kHz and although ADSL is very clever - fibre optic is inherently wider bandwidth and much better - so the sooner we ditch ADSl and get decent data links down fibre the better
David_W
Rising Star

I really can't wait to have 1GB connection speed so I can use up my allowance in umm, 20 seconds?  It's all good and well BT doing this, but unless they give ISP's a decent price for bandwidth it's pointless.  Then there is the added cost to ISP's, if our home connection is 1Gb/Sec and an ISP buys pipes at (I think) 640Mb/Sec, the ISP's are going to have a huge headache!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's O.K. - unless you live in the exchange it will be throttled to 5Mbps. Grin

James
Grafter

Dgwebb,
You're thinking of the 622Mbps we buy for IPStream.
Fibre will run from the interconnects we use on 21CN.  We have greater flexibility in the amount of bandwidth we can add, but it's still not cheap Sad
scootie
Grafter

i just hope they dont use VM's lay out for there cable where the packetloss ect happens at the junction where all your neibours lines meet up to then go on to the areas cabient
David_W
Rising Star

Jameseh, will it be the same sort of thing though?  For instance if BT adds to my exchange (yeah right...) FTTH at 1Gb/sec and I choose PN as my provider (which I will!) you would need to provide the same sort of things you do for ADSL, but instead of 622Mb, 622Gb/sec?
James
Grafter

Yep, but under current prices I don't see that happening!
I believe our FTTC trailists are currently seeing in the region of 40Mbps sync speeds.
David_W
Rising Star

That's going to be a major headache for you lot, having to support dial up, ISDN (do people still use that?) ADSL, ADSL2+ and FTTC, would it eventually be possible for you to merge all the services so ADSL uses the same pipes as fibre, or will you be stuck having to support several different ways of getting us on the internet for our daily fix of all things internety?  Would you eventually make reclaim initial investment costs as people move from ADSL over to fibre allowing you to retire the 622Mb pipes?
Then you get into the different pricing structures, different prices per market exchange, that's going to be a bit of a nightmare for you lot Shocked
I know for a while now they have had 1Gb/sec connections in Hong Kong, I believe through ethernet, maybe the UK being stuck on that list of "countries who's internet connection is ok for now, but not really very good for the future" put a fire under BT's backsides.
James
Grafter

All I can say is that the next year or so will prove to be "interesting".  Realistically, we don't really support dialup or ISDN anymore.
ADSL and ADSL2+ are pretty much the same fundamentally and Fibre will be the new toy.  We'll be able to decommission the centrals as more and more customers move to ADSL2+ & Fibre.  The costing on Fibre products will be interesting - looking at £16-21 on the rental of the service alone before you add in bandwidth costs.  That would look like a fibre service with a decent usage allowance costing £30-40 per month.  But I don't design products Smiley
Community Veteran

Can't see many people buying at that price ? - but maybe like ADSl - the first take up when prices were high was slow I assume, and as prices have fallen it has become mass market.
David_W
Rising Star

I think £30 to £40 a month is a reasonable enough price to pay, especially for the increase in speed that you could expect from the product.  To put it into context, when I first joined F9 I was on dial-up with Friaco and I think I was paying around £40 a month for 56k access and 99 hours (at least I think that's what it was, was such a long time ago! Might even have been more than £40), then my exchange was ADSL enabled and I went down in price to around 30 I guess, but my speed went up to 512k.
One thing that does concern me is competition.  1Gb/sec is more than fast enough to download full HD content, 1080p (1920×1080) has a bit-rate of 356Mbps, so on a 1Gb line you would be able to stream full HD videos, although 720p would probably be a much better way, but I digress.  BT will be able to offer BT Vision with 1080p streaming of their content, the same with Sky (I think Sky would be very aggressive with this, offering all their channels over their own system would save them money, possibly, from saved bandwidth from the satellite).  So BT/Sky could easily offer a package with HD content streamed to a wireless router that plugs into the TV.
Smaller ISP's would be only able to sell internet only packages, the bigger ISP's though would be able to add on bandwidth heavy applications, like TV, downloadable movies, maybe even links to games.  How will smaller ISP's be able to compete against bigger ISP's that could offer so much more?  Sky could even tie in a new generation of HD+ boxes so you can watch live HD broadcasts or stream like iPlayer any content you missed over the past week.
So I think in moving to a faster system, the onus on the ISP will stop being providing just internet access, and move on to providing services, so the I in ISP will be dropped for just SP maybe?