cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's hidden £30 BB termination charge flagged when leaving after contract expires

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: BT's hidden £30 BB termination charge flagged when leaving after contract expires

not exactly hidden https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/broadband.html

If you end your service or switch to another Broadband provider on a different network you may have to pay a cease charge by way of compensation to us. The cease charge is as set out in the Tariff Guide and we will tell you what your cease charge will be when you place your order with us. You will not have to pay this charge in the event that you move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address. For more information on when this charge is applied go to http://www.bt.com/ceasecharge. This charge is compensatory and is not subject to VAT.

When will the charge be raised?

This charge will be raised should you:

• Switch to a Cable provider
  • Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard transfer process*
  • Cease your Broadband completely
  • Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Re: BT's hidden £30 BB termination charge flagged when leaving after contract expires

It might be unpalatable, but it's hardly hidden. BB line cease fees have been well highlighted. I suspect at the time of sign up it's something in the future which is never quite understood and therefore ignored until the bitter day it becomes payable.
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Not only is it not hidden, it's standard across all BB providers who use OpenReach's connections (almost all) because it represents the charge that OpenReach make for the disconnection. There's no charge if you move to another provider (on the OpenReach network) by contacting the new BB company first and asking them to handle the transfer.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

It crops up on this forum every now and again.

Plusnet's rules regarding this can be found here.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

A lot of these charges seem out of place in this day and age. Maybe in the past there was some actual work involved that justified it but I just don't see it now.

Connection charge is another. I mean they do want your business don't they? And to get it they need to connect you...........

I don't see that charge as anything else now except as an underhand way of reducing the monthly charge a fraction.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

On the other hand if you want the service you might have to accept there's a cost to connect and a cost to disconnect. To me that seems a better option than loading the monthly charge ... which you'll pay forever.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

but there is a connection charge, and it's almost always displayed clearly during sign up.
this can usually be negotiated down to zero though, depening on contract and length of service.

the disconnect charge i've never seen to be negotatied down to zero though.
and it's not usually mentioned during sign up (other then in the very small print).