Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's Broadband advert banned by Advertising Standards Authority

pierre_pierre
Grafter

BT's Broadband advert banned by Advertising Standards Authority

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11075066
An advert for telecommunications firm BT has been banned for misleading customers over broadband speeds.
17 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

BT Ad Banned Over Broadband Speed Claims

An ad in BT's long-running "Adam and Jane" campaign has been banned for misleading customers over the speed of the company's broadband.
The instalment in the ongoing saga showed Adam being shown around a property by an estate agent as he talked to Jane on his mobile, who was viewing the house online from her home computer.
It shows the estate agent waiting for a webpage to load, while Jane loads the website instantly and quickly looks at a series of images.
The estate agent apologises to Adam, saying: "Six o'clock. Half the world's online."
A voice-over then adds: "BT is rolling out up to 20 meg speeds to give you a consistently faster broadband throughout the day even at peak times."
Radio and press ads carried a similar message.
The ad drew 17 complaints from the public and competitors Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin, among them that the 20Mb (megabits per second) claim was misleading and could not be substantiated.
Others believed surfing a typical website would not be any faster with a 20Mb service than it would with the original 8Mb service, while three people said the speed at which Jane navigated various web pages was faster than anyone could achieve at any connection speed.
BT told the ASA that its new service, which was being rolled out when the ad screened, was faster than the old one, but that the sequence shown in the ad was not intended to be an actual comparison.
The ASA said: "Because we had not seen sufficient evidence to support the claim that BT's new broadband service was consistently faster than its existing 8Mb service even at peak times, we concluded that the ad was likely to mislead."
It said viewers could expect the internet speed demonstrated by Jane to be available to them, adding that this was not the case.
It concluded: "We noted BT's new service was available to fewer than half of all households and the roll-out, increasing that figure to 75%, was anticipated to take around two years.
"We noted that a significant proportion of the population could not get the service at the time the ad appeared and therefore considered the ad should have made that clear. Because it did not, we concluded that it was likely to mislead."
It ruled that the ads must not appear again in their current form.
BT said in a statement it is disappointed by the ASA's adjudication.
"At the time the ads appeared, BT had just started rolling out a new up to 20Mb broadband service across the country and we wanted to highlight the higher speeds available in newly enabled exchange areas offering customers consistently faster web browsing in comparison to BT's up to 8Mb service," the company said.
"There was certainly no intention to mislead, the images used were representative of the differences and our substantiation for the claims made in the advertising includes independent data from the leading global authority on broadband service delivery, Epitiro, and an expert statistician."
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Re: BT's Broadband advert banned by Advertising Standards Authority

Interesting that this was banned by the ASA after 17 complaints. The ironic thing is that the act of doing so seems to have garnered a fair bit of publicity in the press.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

So new publicity routine, create ad, pay some people to complain about it, then bask in the FREE advertising produced?
Steve
Pro

Hairy Biker, It's the greatest conspiracy Wink
Community Veteran

Oops, just realised I forgot to post a quick explanatory note about what I've done to this thread: there were two threads about this topic, one in Your Feedback and one here in Chit Chat, so, seeing as the topic wasn't really feedback for Plusnet anyway, I've moved the Your Feedback one in to this board and merged them both.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

So new publicity routine, create ad, pay some people to complain about it, then bask in the FREE advertising produced?

Definitely a conspiracy theory if ever I've heard one. Can't see money being wasted on a big advertising campaign only to deliberately stick a lid on it afterwards.
By the way I would like it to be known that I am not the Adam from the ad campaign Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Pro

Yeah I see what you done Be3G, Never noticed Pierre-Pierre's thread up In feedback at time of posting mine In chit-chat.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

There was certainly no intention to mislead.

Yeah right. They have form. Only this morning there was yet another BT flyer in the post, which included this paragraph, misleadingly associating the 20Mb roll-out and the 'Accelerator' aka the Iplate.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

In a statement, BT said: "We are disappointed by the ASA's adjudication.
"At the time the ads appeared, BT had just started rolling out a new up-to-20Mb broadband service across the country and we wanted to highlight the higher speeds available in newly enabled exchange areas

So.... why didn`t they do JUST THAT........
I have been wary of advertising claims for years now.....
and must have some kind of "sales resistance" inbred in me.... (oops.. could this be because I was born in YORKSHIRE ? ? ? ) Roll eyes Roll eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

BT mail shots are extremely dodgy. I get one every month addressed to "the occupier". The latest one that I have received offers  "Broadband and unlimited UK calls FREE for the first 3 months. £15.99 a month after that".
Only when you get into the small print do you find that this excludes the line rental that one has to pay every month and that this is for an 18-month contract. Nowhere are details of the broadband package listed (other than "up to 20Mbps") so I assume that the offer is for their 10GB package.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Talk Talk advert on TV makes their broadband look cheap..... because they put a "flash" across the screen mentioning how much the line rental is, but this disappears before the actual broadband price is quoted, so making people think they are getting BB for about £6 ..
Steve
Pro

What I was on very briefly was essentials and It was cheap, £6.99 to be exact.
thisoldman
Grafter

and you are certainly not ADAM from the old testament though you could learn a few wee things from him.

istnt Be3G clever to notice the duplication Grin
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I won't go into my personal views on things like religion (as much as I would like to) so I won't challenge you on that point Wink I will say this though, even though I play in a heavy metal band I don't worship satan or bite the heads of bats Smiley I'm just a musician (in my spare time) that likes to play very fast guitar and get stuck into enjoying and creating the music I love.
On a more serious note FourC thanks for raising that to our awareness I don't think all of us realised any literature was being sent out  with that particular choice of words on it.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team