cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT offer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT offer

Had a few emails from BT recently offering me infinity broadband for £7.50 plus line rental plus cost of their router. 12 month contract.
Anyway the question is where did BT get my e-mail address from, would they have access to PN's database as they are a part of BT ? If so I cannot see the logic of offering me fibre for a similar cost of  standard broadband ?
Would there be any sense in BT  trying to get Existing PN customers ?
8 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: BT offer

they could have your email address from any number of other sources, the fact they are trying to flog fibre to everyone and his dog right now suggests that they want to get everyone off adsl and cheapen the running costs of the network infrastructure, underselling the product line up for the fibre will probably save them in the long run as everyone in enabled areas migrates to the superior connection.
ive had hundreds of letters and emails from BT in the last 12 months offering me infinity (the product they told me I couldn't have when I joined plusnet....) but I don't care if they want keep wasting cash sending out the same offers every few weeks
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like you I am not interested, I don't wish to download films or connect the tv to the internet although I accept this is something many people find useful.
Current speed on asdl is 2 Mbps on fibre the estimate is 10 Mbps so on that speed I feel I would be getting short changed when considering the speeds most people get on fibre.
Fixes: 125

I dream of Fibre...
Although my current speed is a 2.5 x gleneagles' both SWMBO and I do watch a fair amount in HD so the extra bandwidth would be great. If we lived in an area with better ADSL 2 I'd be happy with 12 to 15MB. I would like to have a much better upload speed, though. Currently get about 0.6 MB.
FTTC was supposed to be available at the end of 2014 but it's been delayed Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have bt phone line... and prior to christmas... got a bulky letter from them telling me a was a valued customer and could have infiity ....  the "outline" of the con "offer" was on the outer of the envelope... so they went straight in the bin without even opening them.... as with nanotm I only do some surfing and watch a few music vids . don`t watch tv at all, so all those "extras" are of no interest or use to me....
nanotm
Pro

oh don't get me wrong I hammer my internet, the reason I wouldn't touch bt's offer with a bargepole is they clamp the connection once you hit a hidden fair use policy level of 50 gb a month for 3 months or 100 gb in a single month, my kids stream movies to that amount in an average week never mind what I do myself
I have plusnet's unlimited fibre product though, and I wouldn't go back to slow adsl browsing out of choice.
the fibre product might only offer you a 10meg bandwidth but the connection speed will be significantly faster (probably because radio waves go at a fraction of light speed whilst light is obviously that much faster .....) 
according to the parliamentary report published a while back bt is under obligation to switch everyone in market 1 areas to fibre connections by 2019 and full market 2/3 switchover by the end of 2021, with at least 80% of both market groups by end of 2017
that was a target set in 2005 and hasn't been changed despite all the delays bt has been stumbling over the changeovers, of course bt will need to switch all the consumers over to fibre modems regardless of the clamped speed products people are receiving in order to remove a lot of the network overheads (my line was originally clamped at 5000/1024kbps for a few days after switch on of the fibre service because of a backend issue) so regardless of any other problems there might be with back haul capacity for raw throughput to customers they can install the upgrades there in slow time once all the end users are connected and gradually increase connection bandwidth amounts in the future (for more cash no doubt) without needing to do anything other than press a few keys on a keyboard in the operations centre ........call me a cynic but I would much rather plusnet had bought out BT and than the other way around ....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BT do not have a fair usage policy on their unlimited products http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/unlimited-broadband-package-no-fair-usage-policy/
nanotm
Pro

yeah that's what they said when I originally had their unlimited product a few years ago, 3 months later they "revised the fair use policy" and instigated the cap, which was exactly what they did a few years previous when they offered the exact same "unlimited no usage policy" products .....they cap the upload speed to 0.2meg and leave the downloads alone, you can barely even browse the internet on that upload speed let alone stream anything or play any online games .....
ever more restrictive than when they clamp your download speed to 1meg ......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Why don't you read the link and note the date when it changed 
5 February 2013 if you can't be bothered