Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT now own EE - cleared by regulators

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

BT now own EE - cleared by regulators

I don't see this as a good thing for Plusnet customers or EE ones for that matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35320831
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: BT now own EE - cleared by regulators

My only link to EE is I have 2 PAYG pre-pay sims with 2Gb of data on them, as long as they still work later this year when I want to use them on holiday I will be fine with the merger. Personally I can't see PN getting any different unless all the EE BB customers are moved on to here, but that is what the new network is for isn't it?
Maybe the call answer rate will drop due to NEW people answering the phone (EE customer reps)? See that pig flying past just now?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm, isn't this one of them breaches of anti-competition laws or some bow locks like that? After all, BT has the monopoly on phonelines, they have the monopoly on paid terrestrial and IPTV, and now they're gaining a monopoly in the mobile sector too, I wonder when they'll be buying out royal mail & the Post Office and re-forming the GPO returning to an era of the "It's us or nowt" situation.... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nope thats what the regulator said (bung him a few quid mate Smiley)
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@hairy
Yep my fear is that EE broadband customers will be dumped on Plusnet and insufficient support staff retained from EE. BT have to make this takeover pay for itself.
Fixes: 47

Will BT now spin off Openreach?
Answers on a postcard to.......
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The news for EE customers at this time is that EE will continue as its own business, we presume not unlike how Plusnet operates.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7313-approval-for-bt-acquisition-of-ee-given.html
Community Veteran

The regulators are still considering the merger between O2 and 3. If approved it will end up with mobile operators shrinking to three. It is debatable if this will be good or bad for customers. 
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@oldjim
The phrase "at this time" doesn't give me any confidence.
BT have to cut costs to pay for EE, the easy way is to reduce staff costs so white label EE broadband onto Plusnet or vice versa. Well time will tell as they say.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

There is no suggestion that BT will cut costs other than by some staff reductions to pay for the acquisition as report here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31144009 would seem to indicate that the cash outlay will only be £3.4 billion of which £1 billion will be raised by a new share issue
Note that EE reported profits last year were 1.6 billion while for BT they were £2.1 billion on a much higher turnover (about 3 times)
But then again what would I know
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I don't see this as an issue - after all BT once had 50% or so of the mobile market when they owned Cellnet - Vodaphone being the other.
Previous management sold off Cellnet to become O2 -
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
Will BT now spin off Openreach?
Answers on a postcard to.......

Not willingly! However they'll be told to do so. It would not be too complex, just issue "Openreach" shares to existing BT share holders and swap the "old BT" shares for "new BT" shares at a lower value.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.