cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT have taken phone bill twice this month

randpwar
Grafter

BT have taken phone bill twice this month

Check your bank account if you pay for a BT phone service by direct debit; they’ve taken mine twice this month. Want to try and guess the reason?  Yep, software upgrades. They really should try doing some…oh what’s it called now?....oh that’s right, testing!. 
I do think it’s a bit naughty. They have not taken any steps to notify people of this error. I have, however, come to a compromise with them as I had a bit of a go at the call centre and they’re giving me a £10 discount off  the bill. Shouldn’t happen though 
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: BT have taken phone bill twice this month

BT = Bloody Terrible
Due to my recent house move and needing a new line my April bill was almost £130 more than usual. As a DD customer I telephoned asking if I could part-pay by credit card (I wanted to pay only the intallation charge this way). I was told it could be done but only if the DD was cancelled and re-instasted manually a few days later. Before agreed I made sure this would not change my billing method or incur the non-DD charge.
A few days later I found that the entire bill had been paid by credit card. Meanwhile I had reset the DD and waited my next bill. Lo & behold, I had been set on to quarterly billing with the next three months' rental due now. My call the CS was fruitless as I was told that the CS member I spoke to couldn't have made that agreement. I told them to listen to the call and get back to me. I don't hold much hope for a response.
Apparently nothing can be changed till August when the currently quarterly period ends Sad
As this hasn't cost me any more than it should in the long run it's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

a letter to the boss man still works a treat, especially if you cc to someone else.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Last month I was also billed twice for home phone - by Plusnet.
Got it sorted by raising a ticket - no fuss, no hassle.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
scootie
Grafter

cheers for the heads up
will keep close eye on the bully boy called bt this month. dont want him stealing my tuck shop money
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: maranello
Got it sorted by raising a ticket - no fuss, no hassle.

But we're talking about BT, not PlusNet Smiley
Not had to rely on their support so far, so I hope BT billing errors are not a nightmare to get resolved.
My DD doesn't come out yet, but I'll check my account later this month.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'll be watching closely in a week's time; thanks for the tip randpwar.
Not young enough to know everything
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Alex
But we're talking about BT, not PlusNet Smiley

Fair enough, should have been clearer in making my point(s) which are:
1. It's not just BT that can make an error such as this, so always check your direct debits.
2. If it does happen, at least with Plusnet it gets resolved swiftly. It took 15 months to resolve a billing issue I once had with my electricity supplier, and I had to get OFGEN involved when I was threatened with debt collection.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah - I get the impression from here that while PlusNet's billing system is not perfect, errors do get resolved quite quickly and easily (thanks to the staff on here!).
Not sure what BT are like, my friend had grief with them about a year ago .. can't remember the detail but it involved hundreds of pounds and he was not happy.
Thanks to the OP for pointing it out, will be checking my statement.
You do wonder how much they would get away with from overcharging people who don't realise?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

For info my BT bill was about 2 weeks ago and that DD was taken ok ( and ONLY once ). Smiley
Fixes: 125

When I insisted in talking to a manager at the weekend she told me that they are gradually changing billing systems over so this may be the cause of any problems. No way is it an excuse - just a possible reason?
The benefit, apparently, is that the new system will give the ciustomer more options viz I would then be able to part-pay by DD and credit card.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Plus net has gone loopy as well I got a notice of DD for 3 times my correct payment. They said it was for phone calls from a month ago. I explained I never had a phone from them. They said it would be corrected but they couldn't stop the money being taken they would have to take 3 times the correct money and then refund it. Tuf if it makes you OD.
So check your Plus net account to ensure you are not overcharged
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Samuria, if they've already submitted the DD request then I don't think they can cancel it.  If you went overdrawn and got charged for it due to Plusnet's over charge, they will normally give you that amount.  If you do get into that situation problem best to give Mr Bailey a PM.
Phil
randpwar
Grafter

Just to let you know that BT have coughed up and returned the money to me..........but I recommend vigilance
Rob