Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT charges

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

BT charges

maybe someone here can suggest what to do  Wink
Short Story  * mother in law was having problems with her phone , she asked me to look at it i noticed that there was no master socket where BT wire enters house just one of the old type connection blocks , which was then connected to hard wired extension routed under the floorboards connected to a phone socket on the wall non BT .
i rang BT a few month back and asked if there should be a master socket where the wire enters the house Yes they said so i asked if they could replace the old junction box with a NT5 box to connect a new extension to , also asked if there would be a charge
was told no charge if was just to replace the master socket .
Any how engineer came and fitted the new NT5 beginning of December he also suggested that maybe mice had chewed the wire under the floor boards .
Right so far ,,  now  she has just had a bill for £129.99 for call out charge ??  
i argued over the phone saying this was wrong but the agent was adamant that the charge was correct as most likely mice had chewed the wire  .
Question is as the wire was a extension after the BT socket should they charge ?Huh
i always believed that BT was liable to replace the NT5 5 box FOC as its theirs, and after the box it belongs to the property  
or am i wrong
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BT charges

I smell a rat Grin Grin
Community Veteran

They do charge for new/replacement master sockets.
Community Veteran

Some years back they replaced mine free of charge.
They visited me to look at a fault on my internet and did the replacement at the same time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You could have done the work yourself for peanuts too (just don't tell BT cos they don't like people spending a fiver on a Master socket on ebay and fitting it themselves!! Cheats them out of £129.99 you see!!), plenty of NTE5 (don't forget the E, Network Terminating Equipment 5) masters available, and it's only two wires to connects, and replacing the old GPO BT52a connection block can help improve broadband speeds if used on the line... Smiley
Community Veteran

It's probably easier to argue with BT saying there was something wrong with the line/unable to test as no master socket
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Andy H ,  Wink cheers thats a good idea thanks
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .