cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT cable stolen again

x47c
Grafter

BT cable stolen again

Yet another cable theft      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-16671123  'twas done on Thursday night last week.
So BT will be fishing for the rest of the cable ends in the ducts, mending the manhole/duct/whatever damage, putting in new cable and starting the painstaking proceedure on identifying each line cutting off the old connections and connecting them up to the new cable.
On Local News this morning BT are saying another two days to get everybody on
but I'm sure there will be some odds and ends to sort out - 1 week seems to be going rate for such a "fault" to be repaired 100%.
In the meantime, to those on the main boards ranting about why BT don't do this and that (all at no cost to anyone).....answer, because they are wasting their time having to do this.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: BT cable stolen again

It is a pity that due to the unplanned nature of this type of damage, that the opportunity for BT to lay fibre instead won't happen.
Laying fibre would eliminate the problem of thieving as there would be no copper scrap value, and the residents might get FTTC or FTTP.
In this incident - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15740882 - the thieves stole 500m of cable and damaged another 1000m, then BT replaced it but the thieves came back in under a week and stole the new cable as well !.  Pretty embarrassing that it happened twice on the main road that all the residents use and opposite the Police station  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

DAK the difference in cost between fibre and copper, seems a no brainer relaying copper just for it to be stolen again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: purleigh
It is a pity that due to the unplanned nature of this type of damage, that the opportunity for BT to lay fibre instead won't happen.
Laying fibre would eliminate the problem of thieving as there would be no copper scrap value, and the residents might get FTTC or FTTP.
In this incident - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15740882 - the thieves stole 500m of cable and damaged another 1000m, then BT replaced it but the thieves came back in under a week and stole the new cable as well !.  Pretty embarrassing that it happened twice on the main road that all the residents use and opposite the Police station  Embarrassed

Lay a glass wire and a transceiver instead of good old fashioned copper? Are you mad? - glass wire can be bought pretty cheaply along with transceivers, how could you possibly justify being on top of the problem and getting up to date?  Grin
Seriously though yes it would be a good idea wouldn't it. All they need to do is run a stretch up to the next box with a transceiver either end and its job done.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

These BT cable thefts, seem to be an "opportunity missed" for BT... OK... so they lose the connections, and get a load of hassle from the consumers, but as the cable has already been removed, it would be a good opportunity to replace with fibre optic stuff.... especially where the theives have been before...  Imagine their face when they open up the manhole cover and find there is no copper cable for them to nick !. Grin
Am surprised the BT have not devised a "snitch line" (help line) where the good citizens could phone them up when they see any roadworks/cable works to contact them to see if they are "legit" BT workers, and if not, then the Police could be informed and arrests made (almost) on the job .
Yes, they may get a few repeat calls, but the "call centre" should be able to deal with that easily enough.....
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Am surprised the BT have not devised a "snitch line" (help line) where the good citizens could phone them up when they see any roadworks/cable works to contact them to see if they are "legit" BT workers, and if not, then the Police could be informed and arrests made (almost) on the job .

Weirdly BT aren't interested in logical things, suggestions or ideas. For a company with such large resources they try to do as little as possible it seems from experience over the years.
Bob used to promote their motto of "It's good to talk" yet they'd disconnect your line without any notice if it suited them (happened to me a couple of times - no bill = no line Shocked).
Recently we were getting a lot of silent phone calls. Tracked it down to 1571 ringing us to play us silent text messages that people had been sending. Rang BT and asked them to adjust. To my shock they have the technology to convert text SMS to voice, ring you, play/speak it OR store it as voicemail on 1571 but they don't have the setting to ignore an empty SMS text. In case anyone thinks that is hard, it's easy. Here it is in php:
if (($Setting) and (empty($Text)))
  {
  exit();
  }
It's just as easy with any other language so I fail to see how BT with all of their technological might cannot include this small feature.
Instead they said we had to turn off the entire SMS feature. This has become a pain because the landlord sends us SMS texts about when he's coming round to fix things. Did BT give a damn? No. Turn it off or keep being called by silent text messages was their attitude. Ask them to pass on feedback and the communications giant refused to communicate with itself.
For a company thats always advertising how advanced their technology is on TV (eg their broadband) I'm shocked at how useless they really are in the practical world. One little tweak, thats all we wanted and they're unable to manage it. Absolutely shocking.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

"Thieves took 150m of fibre optic cable and 18km of earth bonding cable, each worth £300,000. British Transport Police (BTP) said two men have been charged over the incidents."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16382806
So even replacing copper with fibre does not guarantee it will not be pinched!
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
"Thieves took 150m of fibre optic cable

Were they aware they were stealing fibre optic cable? From the ouside it could look the same, lighter in weight perhaps.
Is there a scrap value in FOC?
Community Veteran

The difference being if you have to relay fibre optical cable it is a lot faster because you don't have to reconnect the individual pairs (except the last mile), all of the calls and data are compressed on to a few fibres.
There is also technology which allows you to detect within a few metres where an optical fibre is being attacked, they use this technology to protect oil pipelines and long perimeter fences. If BT left a couple of fibres "dark" when they pull a cable they could be used for this purpose. The cost is marginal. They could also use a different colour sheathing to and label along the length - "this is optical fibre", to dissuade the thieves from ripping it out.
Also as a final measure, those who steal cables and receive the stolen goods should be made jointly and severally liable for the whole cost of the outage, delayed journeys, lost business etc.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Also as a final measure, those who steal cables and receive the stolen goods should be made jointly and severally liable for the whole cost of the outage, delayed journeys, lost business etc.

I agree. I don't understand why metal dealers aren't done for handling stolen goods more often. They should know that they will be targetted for selling stolen metal to so they should be doing more to protect themselves by not accepting it.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
"this is optical fibre"

You're assuming the muppets can read.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You mean, like the sign on the back of the post office cash van (and G4S, & others) that says

POLICE FOLLOW THIS VAN

Never quite figured that one out.... is it an instruction to the police to actually follow it?  or is it a warning to motorists that the police may be behind you, so be careful with your driving ?  Grin
Fixes: 47

Quote from: CX23880
You're assuming the muppets can read.

They must be able to or they wouldn't know what this was...

Or they'd take that and weigh it in, ignoring what may be underneath it Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
POLICE FOLLOW THIS VAN

Never quite figured that one out.... is it an instruction to the police to actually follow it?   or is it a warning to motorists that the police may be behind you, so be careful with your driving ?  Grin

You have no idea how many times I've asked myself that very question  Wink
Fixes: 123

You have no idea what I want to do whenever I see the sign 'Wet Paint' Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still