Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT breaching Ofcom rules?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: BT breaching Ofcom rules?

In 2015, for the first time in the eight years I had 'BT Total Broadband', they refused to offer me a deal of any kind, i.e. there was no point entering into a contract since I would be paying the same as the out-of-contract price.  As soon as my contract expired I signed up with PN.  During the next couple of weeks I received a number of e-mails from BT urging me to contact their 'specially trained' team to discuss my decision to migrate.  Naturally I ignored these, but I assume the 'specially trained' people were sales staff who'd magically found a discount I could have and would have tried every hard-sell trick in the book to keep me.

I didn't know such marketing e-mails/calls were against the rules; I thought OFCOM just took a dim view of ISPs using delaying tactics and obstructive behaviour in order to delay migrations.

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 921

Hi @Marksfish 

Now, should my parents decide to stay with BT, how long do they have to cancel to get their pre- payment back? Is it still the 14 days distance selling regs in force? How would they do it, I suppose they would have to ring?

Ta

If your parents want to cancel their order with us and stay with BT they’ll just need to either call customer options on 0800 013 2632 or chat with them online at http://www.plus.net/help/chat

So long as they’re still within their 14 day cooling off period which starts the day after the account is created, and/or the transfer order isn’t nearing completion we’ll be able to cancel the order giving them a full refund within 10 working days. 
Hope this helps. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@billnotben wrote:

@twocvbloke wrote:

cheese, ham & mustard... Grin

What no Marmite. Is there still a shortage?Smiley

No, I'd want actually to be able to eat it... Funny

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@twocvbloke wrote:

and then charged me a months service after the transfer was completed, and their excuse for that was that they "do it incase you changed your mind"

How the hell is that morally right, legal or allowed?

When you say you're leaving that doesn't translate to "help yourselves to my money one last time" - not one bit. I hope you invoiced them some admin charges for having to rectify that!

Mind you.. when i wrote to 3 a while back they claim they never got my letter - despite it being sent special delivery to their registered uk address. Funny how these things happen.. 🙄

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Multinational tax-dodging corporations, innit? They do what they like "cos they can", they did refund the money less what was owed for the final bill (which was a couple quid total, nowhere near a whole month's fee!), but the fact they took it at all & let it sit in their accounts accruing interest for a month, that's just taking the bladder water...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Isn't that because one is tax avoidance and the other tax evasion?

Big difference apparently, legally speaking anyway.