Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT breaching Ofcom rules?

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT breaching Ofcom rules?

I thought Ofcom had stipulated, as a part of simplifying the migration process, the losing isp should not try to "keep" the departing customer once migration had been initiated. Having signed up my parents the other weekend as BT were charging them excessively for their services, BT rang and has now muddied the waters for them by offering a much reduced rate, but a) over 12 months not 18 and b) subject to their regular RPI increases.

I'm not going to have a hissy fit over it and my parents don't seem to be overly worried (a saving is a saving to them), but have BT "done the dirty?"

Now, should my parents decide to stay with BT, how long do they have to cancel to get their pre- payment back? Is it still the 14 days distance selling regs in force? How would they do it, I suppose they would have to ring?

Ta

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: BT breaching Ofcom rules?

I had a similar thing with vodafone when moving back to PN, they tried plying me with "deals" (you know the sort, "stay with us and you can have an Alexa, cheaper mobile contracts and suchlike", except it worked out more expensive!) to stay, and then charged me a months service after the transfer was completed, and their excuse for that was that they "do it incase you changed your mind", so, yeah, I go to a cheaper supplier, you charge me more than PN are, and you think I'm going to stay just for a spy gadget and a contract phone I don't need or want? Pfft, no... Crazy2

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

The reason changing from one provider should be a question of service not cost but it's rarely is of course because we all like to save a few pennies if not pounds. Time for them all to stop with the offers and focus on delivery rather than deals.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

True, but when the savings are substantial (60%) cheaper, you have to ask who was pulling whose chain?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Crikey, thats a lot!

More like pulling the chain after they've taken the pee! 

Something is radically wrong if they can offer that sort of discount. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman wrote:

The reason changing from one provider should be a question of service not cost

current supplier of cheese and pickle sandwich, with tasteless cheese, stale bread,and very little pickle.... serves it up in a nice serviette, and instantly... for this "service" they charge £3.00

Alternative supplier of cheese and pickle sandwich, with tasty cheese, fresh bread and a nice dollop of pickle... serves it up in a plain serviette..... but it takes 5 mins to make and deliver.. for this "service" they charge £2.50

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Yet both are using the same ingredients.

Daft or what?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman     same ingredients?   

erm..... stale bread..... not the same as fresh bread........

tasteless cheese..... not the same as tasty cheese... Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman 

True, but remember that some of  BT's advertised contracts for new customers are already at around a 50% discounts on their rolling monthly rates and so 60% is not necessarily so outlandish. But I agree something does need to be done with the industry - maybe next year's changes will start to improve pricing policies to the benefit of all customers.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Moot point, but still the same ingredients. Wink

It is nonsense though when not only ISP's but many services can offer different prices and conditions for the same thing and let's be fair, the older we get the harder it is to sort out and decide on the best deal. Even funeral plans have my head buzzing. 

Nationalise all greasy spoon cafes I say! 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Pickle? Is that the line rental of the sandwich? Funny

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

More like the contract they have you in. Tongue

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I'd rather have cheese, ham & mustard... Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Those at the top of BT will know the ofcom rules but do those lower down the structure, the ones selling or dealing with contracts ?

If there is a query, it's usually ' We are addressing staff training'........or 'thanks for bringing this to our attention'......etc

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

cheese, ham & mustard... Grin

What no Marmite. Is there still a shortage?Smiley

@gleneagles wrote:

If there is a query, it's usually ' We are addressing staff training'........or 'thanks for bringing this to our attention'......etc

Not forgetting the all to familiar of..........

Passing it on to our (make up any nonsense name) team.

Passing it to (fill in fake silly name here) for their personal immediate attention.