cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT & Plusnet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT & Plusnet

BT own Plusnet but PN is cheaper for most of it's products than BT and whilst I have no research to prove it I assume customer satisfaction is similar for both companies so what's in it for BT to allow PN to survive if they are offering a cheaper service for most of the products that are available from BT ?
11 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: BT & Plusnet

Different market sectors -
[quote=BT Group Annual Report 2011]Broadband
We serve the consumer broadband market with the BT and Plusnet brands. BT Total Broadband provides value-added services such as online storage, security and free access to the largest network of wi-fi hotspots in the UK, while Plusnet focuses on simple broadband packages for price-conscious customers. BT Infinity is our super-fast broadband product, delivering download speeds of up to 40Mbps using FTTC technology.
Not young enough to know everything
philipb
Dabbler

What 4C said.
Marketeers want to sell any product to the entire market of consumers (to maximise total sales, and to achieve maximum economies of scale), and so find ways of selling the same thing to different groups at whatever price that group will stand - ideally without being too obvious about it.
Good question though, glen!
Community Veteran

The best way to beat the competition is to BE the competition. If you own your competition, even if they undercut you then you're going to have a far increased chance of survival than you would otherwise.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
The best way to beat the competition is to BE the competition. If you own your competition, even if they undercut you then you're going to have a far increased chance of survival than you would otherwise.

Yep, just like how Unilever owns most of the washing detergent brands in the UK. One thing that always surprises me about PlusNet though, is that their level of customer support seems to be much higher than BT in my experience. BT would do well in studying and emulating the work of the PlusNet staff
Community Veteran

Yup, common thing amongst big business is to own several brands. That way you're pretty much guaranteed to suck up the money..,
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Who Owns Who is revealing.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The information contained is very out of date. Some of it was last reviewed 2003.
For example it still has Tesco Personal Finance part owned by RBS but Tesco bought out the RBS share of the business in 2008.
nadger
Rising Star

RBS do still run Tesco Clubcard credit card.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: 4C
Who Owns Who is revealing.

Google Sorry...
We're sorry...
... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now..
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
SidSnot66
Dabbler

The main reason being is that BT are losing customers due to their terrible internet services, customer services and high prices...BT is a rip off and would fail in business IF they didn't own the infrastructure
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

I've had a modicum of success in referring people to Plusnet, but the ones with BT are the hardest to shift -
Ah, but we've always been with them, you see.

Roll eyes