cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT WiFi from Plusnet

ianb20

BT WiFi from Plusnet

Wouldn't if be great if Plusnet bundled BT WiFi with FON? As a BT Group company must be easy to do? BT WiFi is a great service.

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: BT WiFi from Plusnet

You can do it yourself. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fon-router-now-only-24-99-fon-shop-574466

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The downside of the DIY approach is you can only access it, ( as a private person ), is to pay a hourly or daily access fee,

With BT FON it is "included" in the package of having BT as your supplier...

Community Veteran

It used to be if you ran a Fon Router from your home, you'd get free access to the BT Fon routers as well

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ianb20

Sure you can buy BT WiFI as a separate package at £39pcm. Great if you are a heavy user - but totally inappropriate for casual use. I wish to lobby for PlusNet to bundle this facility. 

DS
Pro
Fixes: 7

The Plusnet Hub One has already been 'prepared' for PlusnetWiFi / PlusnetWifi-withFon or a similar name...

For those without a Hub One it states the following on a page, that from memory, not many users ever read:

To prevent conflict with future services, there are some combinations of IP settings that aren't allowed.

The 10.X.X.X range is not available for customer use as it is reserved..

(my bold) And the above IP range is what BT use for BTWiFi.....

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

shutter wrote:

The downside of the DIY approach is you can only access it, ( as a private person ), is to pay a hourly or daily access fee, 

Not strictly true.  If you're a FON member you still get access to the BT FON network as @AlaricAdair suggests.

It can be slightly more difficult than it used to be to buy the necessary FON router, but they can still be obtained.

DS
Pro

If I may.....

(and please correct me if I'm wrong)

But iirc, a FON user owning their own FON branded router could access BT FON Hotspots in commercial premises (ie coffee shops etc), and had to by a voucher to use a residential BT FON Hotspot (beaming out of our own home hubs, swamping our own WiFi). BT customers, whom either opted in or were opted in without their knowledge (another story for another BT owned forum?) had access to all of the BTWifi and BTWifi-with-Fon hotpots.

(just posting for info and do not wish to be involved in any debates, if I'm wrong then ignore this post)

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

DS wrote:

If I may.....

(and please correct me if I'm wrong)

(just posting for info and do not wish to be involved in any debates, if I'm wrong then ignore this post)

Seems to be a contradiction there!  Smiley

I've got a FON router and I certainly don't need to buy any vouchers to connect to any of the domestic BTWifi-with-FON hotspots around me.  I'm not sure about those in commercial premises, but if the SSID is 'BTWifi-with-FON ' then I don't think there would be any difference.  Other BTWifi SSIDs may not be free to connect.

It's also supposed to be free to connect via FON in many other countries whose telecom companies ISPs operate similar FON schemes (but I haven't tried it).

DS
Pro

I do apologise for the mix up aboveEmbarrassed, and can only blame the new meds I've been put onBuck2, they're not pleasantSad and are really screwing with my headCrazy3 tbh you. I can't see how they're going to change my prognosis, but that's another story and not for these forums.

There is/was a huge debate about all of this over on the BT community forums (or possibly on their now historic beta forums of which BT promised to take a lot of the content over to the new community forum into an archived section, but they reneged on that thus removing a lot of positive and negative threads from customers, possibly the 'FONGATE' debate, but that's all in the past now

Note: Some of the following could be wrong too!!Crazy2

I do recall BT hubs beaming out our SSID, a BTWiFi SSID and a BTWiFi-with-Fon SSID. A FON router owner could get to the BTWiFi-with-Fon SSID foc, but not the BTWiFi one, unless (I think) they paid.

Those buying a voucher from BT could get on both (I think), but one of the arguments debates was about why should home users keep their hubs on for the benefit of others paying if the home user didn't get a piece of the cake ('X' pays 'Y', 'Y' receives the money but 'Z' got nothing, but had to keep the SSID live at all times, costing 'Z' money (a very small amount, but it would cost nonetheless) as not everyone keeps their router on 24/7, yet the agreement to being part of the community was you had to make your hub available 24/7).

Another debate was about being automatically opted in with knowledge or consent.

And another was about the Fon / Openzone map - although it only gave a rough estimate of where your house was, those out in the sticks could easily be identified as a BT customer - something a cold caller could benefit from.

If you were a FON router owner then that was fair enough as you'd be part of the 'FON community' and thus, as you know, users can piggyback on UK BTWiFi-with-Fon SSID's.

BT then merged 'their' two SSID's to become what it is today.

Also those in this community - FON routers and BTWiFi-with-FON - agree to give a small portion of their available bandwidth to be allocated to 'outsiders'. Again I think it's about 0.5Mbps (d/l), though some users connected to a BTWiFi-with-Fon witnessed speeds of 2Mbps.

Anyway, as I pointed out above, this Hub has been prepped, so yes I do think Plusnet will become part of the Fon community, though when that is an unknown and only PN/BT will know atm.

edit - to correct a typo.