cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT UK to Retire Old 8Mbps ADSL Broadband ISP Products in 2014

Steve
Seasoned Pro

BT UK to Retire Old 8Mbps ADSL Broadband ISP Products in 2014

Quite Interesting as my girlfriend lives In a very small town with no signs of 21CN or Fibre Huh
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of business ISP Timico UK, Trefor Davies, has revealed that BTWholesale has begun efforts to phase out its older generation of 'up to' 8Mbps ADSL (ADSLMAX) broadband technologies and its related 20CN (20th Century Network) based IPStream and Datastream products.
Today a growing number of BT based ISPs have since swapped onto the operates latest 21CN (21st Century Network) platform, which supports 'up to' 24Mbps ADSL2+ technology and BT's latest superfast 'up to' 40Mbps Fibre-to-the-Cabinet ( FTTC ) products. At present BT's 21CN platform covers about 75% of the country (serving some 20 million customers).
The phasing out of ADSLMAX related services is certainly not unexpected, especially after they did something similar before when the older fixed-speed 512Kbps, 1Mbps and 2Mbps products were suddenly withdrawn. Since then it has also become more expensive for ISPs to offer 20CN / ADSLMAX based services.

From here...http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/07/01/btwholesale-uk-to-retire-old-8mbps-adsl-20cn-broadband-isp-products-in-2014.html
41 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: BT UK to Retire Old 8Mbps ADSL Broadband ISP Products in 2014

Quote from: Steve
..my girlfriend lives In a very small town with no signs of 21CN or Fibre Huh

I live in a very large city with no sign of 21CN or fibre Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

From the ISP point, that fact we are on IPStream Connect likely means we are on 21CN, but as a consumer not getting the ADSL2+ benefit.
Not sure this 'news' actually means anything very much. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There's been a correction to that story on tbb.
They are NOT going to convert all exchanges to 21CN by 2014.
What they have actually said is that all exchanges with 21CN will become 21CN only with no option to stay on 20CN.
[quote=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4712-bt-to-withdraw-ipstream-products-by-spring-2014.html]We have been advised that of a correction to the above. Whilst Datastream is being withdrawn nationwide, the IPStream services are only being withdrawn within the 21CN WBC footprint. This means that exchanges that haven't been upgraded with 21CN will continue to receive IPStream services into 2014 and beyond. Unfortunately this does mean that some of the country may be stuck on 'up-to' 8meg ADSL for some years to come.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: godsell4
From the ISP point, that fact we are on IPStream Connect likely means we are on 21CN, but as a consumer not getting the ADSL2+ benefit.

With IPSC the exchange is still 20CN but somewhere between the exchange and Plusnet the traffic is switched to the 21CN network and connects to Plusnet via the 21CN links.
Quote from: godsell4
Not sure this 'news' actually means anything very much. Sad

When you understand what has actually been announced that about sums it up!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

The Thinkbroadband site has managed to gain a clarification. Apparently only BT's Datastream 20CN product is being withdrawn nationwide, while the primary IPStream service will only be removed from BT's latest 21CN platform and not its older 20CN one (a tad confusing, perhaps).
In other words, some people look set to stay stuck on 'up to' 8Mbps 20CN connections for awhile. However, it should be said that BT will eventually want to withdraw those too, but probably not for awhile.
Community Veteran

I bet most of the exchanges not being upgraded will be market 1 which means that we will continue to pay more for an inferior connection. Angry Angry Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Does that mean that on a 21CN exchange I will be forced to go to ADSL2+ (I am currently on 21CN ADSL1 because of line length and the rotten speed management system on ADSL2+)
Community Veteran

Indeed, thats what I expect to be the case too. If BT can continue to charge its highest fees on Market1 exchanges to people who have no choice but to stick with BT, what incentive is there ofr BT to change? None.
The recent announcement by Neul is interesting, I know people there and may have a hope of influencing them to run one of their trial systems in my area after they have completed the 1st one in Cambridge.
--
3Mb FTTC
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Does that mean that on a 21CN exchange I will be forced to go to ADSL2+ (I am currently on 21CN ADSL1 because of line length and the rotten speed management system on ADSL2+)
No I don't think so.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: Steve
..my girlfriend lives In a very small town with no signs of 21CN or Fibre Huh

I live in a very large city with no sign of 21CN or fibre Roll eyes
My girlfriends exchange has Absolutely [Censored] all going for It. Its Market 1, Only provider Is BT.
matt_2k34
Grafter

From what i gather, it will become very costly for them to keep maintaining their 20CN kit after its shelflife is up (which is why they're retiring it..)
I'd expect within a few years of retiring most, that they'll upgrade the other exchanges (as its cheaper to replace to new kit, than very obsolete kit)
Smiley
edit: reading back, this looks like a similar to/same as story, and i may have got confused Tongue

Steve:
1,229 residential premises

Thats horrible Sad Good luck with that one  Huh
Community Veteran

We're lucky on our exchange - a choice of two LLU suppliers to not touch with a barge pole. http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDHRSTP Only needs Tiscali to be enabled and we'd have the full set!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Steve:
1,229 residential premises

Thats horrible Sad Good luck with that one  Huh
Well the area Is expanding all the time so.........Maybe In a couple hundred years...... You never know. Sad
Community Veteran

Hah, less than 300 connection on my exchange ... its going to be a long wait.
--
3Mb FTTC