cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Shares

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

BT Shares

During the past 2 years BT shares have fallen to half their value. One main reason claimed by some is the amount of money they paid for the rights to film sport.

Why should this be of any relevance to us ?

Well BT gets it's money from customers so are we likely to be facing increasing costs for phone & broadband services in the near future ?

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Shares

I had some BT shares and sold them at a 30% loss last year when I realised BT management were still intent on being a media company rather than a telecommunications company. I'm glad I sold them rather than waiting any longer. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 4

people have shares in bt ? Crazy2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ever since thatcher sold it off... Crazy

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Just got (2000 × 4·85p) £97 divi, so I'm not complaining.

I'd still rather BT hadn't been privatised though.

Remeber you are unique - just like everyone else
Jonpe
All Star

If they hadn't been privatised, they couldn't have taken over PN, and where would we all be then? Grin

Fixes: 168

Perhaps if they hadn't been privatised there wouldn't have been a Plusnet?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
All Star

Yes, it seems rather authoritarian now, but I remember the days when you were only allowed to use a landline phone that was supplied by the GPO, then all phones had to have a tag with a huge green dot to certify that they were authorised for use on the BT network.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

My memory may be questionable but didn’t we have to rent the handsets ?

Fixes: 168

@Champnet

Yes but I think it was only about £1 per month out of around £8 or £9 as I remember getting my own phone but the line rental only reducing by a small amount.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

@Mav wrote:

Perhaps if they hadn't been privatised there wouldn't have been a Plusnet?

No, nor any of the other dozens of ISPs. No Openreach either. Just a public service which didn't have to pay exorbitant salaries to managers, and millions to shareholders.

Digital telephony and broadband would have happened anyway, but in a fair and equitable way across all urban and rural areas.

In the early 80s, BT planned to provide high speed broadband across the whole of the UK, until Maggie insisted that THERE MUST BE COMPETITION. Yeah right, and where has that got us?

What 'choice' does the customer have? A handful of 'premium' ISPs, beyond the reach of most of us. Other than that, a plethora of other providers all chasing each other to the bottom of the market by reducing prices (this month) and skimping on customer service. At one time Plusnet was a good 'middle market' choice, but sadly no more.

As for Openreach - what a (unfunny) joke. An unaccountable monopoly, which all ISPs (Virgin excepted) have to rely on, but which is totally inaccessible to end users.

As with energy and water, we're being royally screwed.  Sad

Remeber you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran

I always think had they not gotten into Football, with BT Sport et al their costs wouldn't have risen.

Too much money IMHO for a sport that for me isn't that interesting, though I don't suppose the footballers will complain when they look at their last pay packet.

Silly thing with this country is you've got two companies. BT Wholesale (PlusNet's "suppliers") and Virgin Media.

If that isn't an monopoly then I don't know what is.

Community Veteran

Easy to be critical of the present setup but I remember a time when it took 6 months before you could get a phone installed, you could have the phone in any colour you liked providing it was black.

These days you can get a phone in any colour or shape including one looking like mickey mouse, if BT had never been nationalised does anyone honestly think we would have a better service than we have today. Everything is about money, if the money is not there then you do not get the service.

Look at the things not in private hands, many schools, most hospitals, etc and what do you see plenty of talk about what needs to be done but no action due to lack of funds indeed what you see is even more cut backs, politicians are great talkers, full of promises for the future but their ability to make things happen is close to zero, we may not like it but it's competition in business that produces the goods and profit.

Community Veteran

I remember the days when my dad fitted the whole house out with a master socket, and additional sockets when plug in phones came about.

This was back in the days when you rented a phone from the Post Office, and had pulse wheely dialling.

Not how you should do it I know, he showed me. Still working now.

Manhole cover just outside which still has "Post Office Telephones" outside.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Gleneagles that was a quick install. I remember when I joined the Air Force back in 1972, my mother requested a phone line. After 18mths she got fed up waiting and asked when it would be installed. She was told they needed to lay the cable first! It had been laid 12mths before and had sat coiled up at the foot of the telegraph pole ever since. She then wrote to the then Post Master General in London and the phone was installed 2 weeks later.