cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Screws up email for a "minority"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

BT Screws up email for a "minority"

A BBC report mentions a screw up by BT locked thousands of people out of their email.  In true Management Speak BT describe this as a minority of users. I seem to recollect that 49% could be described as a minority. Why do these PR drones insist on trying to hide the truth? For many years I used to manage teams who provided support for wealthy and very vociferous users. I soon learnt that the best way to handle such outages (was to avoid them in the first place) was to be open and truthful about the extent of the problem. People know that mistakes sometimes happen, but trying to hide the extent (lying/dissembling) does not help service relationships.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
2 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: BT Screws up email for a "minority"

Aggers was one and most disgruntled on twitter about it Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

Re: BT Screws up email for a "minority"

Alaric's quite right.  Of course, 49% is a minority but that's a decidely legalistic definition.  I don't think anyone other than a statistician/mathmatician would actually describe 49% as a minority, more likely they'd describe it as half  Roll eyes
It's not like other ISPs haven't been having problems: hasn't Virgin had two outages in the last few weeks?