cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

`BT Sarah`

Community Veteran

`BT Sarah`

So PlusNet have James, and BT have Sarah, to deal with customer complaints.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1284363/How-BT-Sarah-spies-Facebook-account-secret-new-softw...
Why should BT not look to see what people are posting about them, providing its only publicly accessible content.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: `BT Sarah`

bt say that they are only looking at data in the public domain, which pretty much covers anything online.  it strikes me as an excellent customer service strategy that works.  what one wants kept private, one may take steps to obscure and quit whining about it.
scootie
Grafter

BT is using software called Debatescape, which trawls social networking sites for keywords to identify anyone making negative comments about the company. Angry customers are then contacted by email suggesting ways BT can help to solve the problem.

how do they find which customers account it is and send them a email by just looking at say twitter?
Community Veteran

Good point when no email address is attached to a twit etc.,  Any views about how this is possible? They should try our own Broadband forum for starters!!
  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
It strikes me as an excellent customer service strategy that works.

Exactly my thoughts.  We do the same on Twitter (and other avenues), looking for references towards ourselves where people have voiced concerns.
I can only see this as good customer service and it's not just ourselves and BT that do it.
Mand
Grafter

The allegations of spying and recommending complaining to the commissioner are a bit surprising, IMO it's no different to setting up Google news alerts for your business.
Improving customer service should be a priority, and anything that helps that shouldn't be knocked.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

In fact PN had a case this morning, a moan on ThinkBroadband, now being looked at
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Agreed, James and Mand. Just another Mail scare story. At least they didn't claim it would lower house prices.  Wink
Not young enough to know everything
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Quote from: Asbo
how do they find which customers account it is and send them a email by just looking at say twitter?

Funny you should say that because I've just had a report created for me that captures customers twitter usernames when they signup (with their consent of course).
Even without this there are a number of ways you can identify a customer from their Twitter profile. They might have an unusual name in which case it's pretty easy to search your CRM systems for them. Even if they have a popular name you can often narrow it down from the location on their Twitter profile. Then there's customers who advertise their domain on their profile - whois lookup anyone? Wink
I added my 2p to that article earlier today but doesn't look like I've been fortunate enough to have my comment approved yet (if at all).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵