cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sales Call or a Thief?

Community Veteran

BT Sales Call or a Thief?

I just had a call (flagged as international) from what would appear to be an offshore BT call centre. The caller addressed me by name and claimed to be from BT, the conversation went something like this:
Caller: This is just a confirmation call; can you tell me if you have a laptop at your house?
Me: Why do you want to know?
Caller: It is to do with your phone line, I want to confirm if you have a computer there?
Me: Why do you want to know if I have a computer here?
Caller: It’s to do with broadband, do you have broadband on your line?
Me: If you are from BT you would know if I have broadband on my line, why are you asking me?
Caller: It’s to do with the upgrades BT are doing in your area.
Me: You aren’t supposed to be calling me I have registered with BT that I don’t want any sales calls.
Caller: This is just a confirmation call...
Me: No it isn’t; it’s a sales call, you are trying to sell me a broadband service aren’t you?
Caller: Now listen to me…
Me: No, you listen to me. I have no interest in answering your questions or buying anything. Goodbye.

I am in two minds as to whether this was just a very unprofessional sales call or someone trying to find out if I have any kit worth stealing. Anyone else had anything similar to this lately?
Oh how I hate unsolicited calls!
8 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: BT Sales Call or a Thief?

You should have told him that you are more commonlny known as "God".
It does sound rather dodgy and a bit unlike BT.  I've only ever had two calls off them in the past.  One regarding a PSTN fault and the other time to find out if I would be interested to get their broadband services after I moved to PlusNet Home Phone.
Community Veteran

I get these all the time at work..
"Yes, we're from BT India" is usually a good start..
my response is usually: "Great - can you give me your number, and I'll just call BT and confirm that, then I'll ring you back"
Their response is usually: "......"
Barry
Community Veteran

Perhaps it was PC world trying to flog him broadband with a free laptop  Shocked
Community Veteran

Nope, showed as 'International- Out of Area' which of course doesn’t necessarily mean it originated from abroad, just that it is routed from abroad.
paulby
Grafter

Just keep an eye on your phone and broadband. 
I had a similar call about a two months ago now but was asked if I'd "like to come back to BT". I politely declined as I was with another phone company and was within the minimum term.  Anyway, two weeks later I found that I was back with BT - they moved me back anyway.  Some dodgy salesman on commission I reckon.
It's casued me no end of grief trying to get things sorted (BT insisting that I've got a twelve month contract for a start)so just keep a close eye on things for the next week or two.
paulby
Grafter

My phone line issue was compounded by the postal strikes - the letters from TalkTalk saying "sorry to see you're leaving, to stop this phone..." only arrived after the line had been moved back to BT.
Apparently though, phone service moves can be initiated with a phone number and postcode - you don't even have to be the account holder for the line in question to have it transferred. The whole process relies on letters being sent from the losing and gaining providers.
Bit of a loophole somewhere?
Community Veteran

I don't usually get international calls, so my response is to pick up the phone, but say nothing.  Usually after a few seconds the phone goes dead, but occassionally someone will speak.  If it's not a voice I recognise, I still say nothing (let them pay for the call).
I went through a spate of international calls, then they stopped, can't think why.
I still get a very occassional one, but do the same thing.
I signed up for the BT preference scheme, but of course it only applies to the businesses that choose to comply with it! Roll eyes
John
jazz
Grafter

I'm on telephone preference service and it generally works very well.  These "international" calls are nearly always the problem ones.  I usually say "Just a minute and I'll get the  person who lives here to talk to you..." or "One minute while I get my hearing ais switched on.."  then I put the phone down on a table and wander off to get on with life.  Eventually BT send a high pitched tone down the line to encourage me to put the phone back on the hook so as to end the call.  Don't know if it causes any problems for the caller but I hope it does