Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Rip off charges

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT Rip off charges

Nothing but greed for BT to be charging this much for directory enquiries,
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/04/bt-refund-directory-enquiries-customers
At least they are being made to refund the money.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BT Rip off charges

And, you get charged at the same rate for a 'connected' call! Greedy beggers!  Angry
Geoff,
York.
CX
Grafter

Now, how about they refund people who have been "opted in" to paying for 1571 voicemail and caller ID?
I wonder how many long-standing customers BT lost last month. We finally made the switch to Plusnet for phone calls, having been with BT since the 80s.
Fixes: 121

[quote= OP link]The tribunal decision was made in January, but has only just come to light. Customers who were overcharged need to apply to BT for a refund.

I would imagine that the elderly account for a great number of these people and, probably, have no idea they can get a refund or even how.
[quote= OP link]The company, which has been censured for failing to make its charges clear to callers of its 118 500 number, was also fined £225,000 by the premium rate number watchdog PhonepayPlusDoes anyone know where this money goes?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Directory enquiry  calla are free on BT's website. You can use the service up to 10 times a day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Instead of the current "intro" speech, which customers are paying for, but don`t realise it.... they should have.
"This is directory enquiries.... you are now being charged XXp for the first minute, and thereafter you will be charged £XXX per minute, including waiting time, and your call, if connected will be charged at £XXX . "
That is what " up front " charge information should be.....
BryanP
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Directory enquiry  calla are free on BT's website. You can use the service up to 10 times a day.

Unfortunately this is obviously not well known
I think that the powers that be should force BT to publicise this fact
thejudge
Grafter

At least something has been done about this; very different to the rip off charge of £6+ per quarter if you exercise your 'consumer choice' (yeah, as if) not to hand your bank details over to them to pay by Direct Debit. How much does it cost to process an online payment fergawdssakes?  Angry
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: CX
Now, how about they refund people who have been "opted in" to paying for 1571 voicemail and caller ID?

I agree.
Although they deny it, this is just another back door method of us all paying for BT sport in my opinion.
As a customer for 24 years I now want to leave BT because of this but as there are no other decent options that offer just a basic no frills telephone service (I'm not interested in Talk Talk, Virgin or Sky etc.) it looks like my only realistic option is to transfer calls to Plusnet. I will look into this when my current line rental package with BT ends in April.
As I also look after my mothers & mother in laws accounts they will in effect be losing three customers. (I accept BT own Plusnet so really are still the winners here  Undecided)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: rja66
As I also look after my mothers & mother in laws accounts they will in effect be losing three customers. (I accept BT own Plusnet so really are still the winners here  Undecided)

BT will not be losing as instead of you paying BT it will be Plusnet. Th only way which BT will lose all revenue is if you go Virgin.
WTF
Grafter

I'm sure Virgin has to pay BT something for connecting to their network, so even then ..
Besides, Virgin are way worse than BT.  They were way worse even before their most recent take over by Liberty Media, who's boss, John C. Malone is nicknamed Darth Vader.  The Virgin name is just a brand Liberty are renting - Richard Branson's involvement with them doesn't really extend much beyond featuring in a few ads.
We had a 3-play (Phone-BB-TV) with them for around 2.5 years, in which time they kept reducing the number of TV stations included in the bundle while almost doubling what they charged (the missus set up the deal so the price hike e-mails - assuming there were any - went to her). 
Needless to say, I won't be going back to them any time soon.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: NedLudd
And, you get charged at the same rate for a 'connected' call! Greedy beggers!  Angry

Watt I agree with 100%  Angry  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As BT own Plusnet perhaps our biggest concern is what, if any, our payments are affected in the near future ?
If BT Loses income in one area you can be certain they will be looking to make it up elsewhere, lets hope it's not from Plusnet customers.
Community Veteran

As we are talking about greed....
I've never quite understood while I pay BT just over £15 a quarter including some calls, many other BT and Plusnet customers pay that a month.
That suggests a more that good profit margin. Which would explain why Plusnet are joining with other telecom providers in using broadband mainly as a means to push their phone packages onto customers.
With the addition of a surcharge on the broadband only package it must only be a matter of time before "Want my broadband? Take my phone" will be the only option.