Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT , Price rise

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

BT , Price rise

Because BT Rates  will increase next year Fourfold ,  BB price  will go up for everyone Sad

The telecoms giant warned that if the proposed new rates are brought in, "it could have a negative impact on future investment in the network".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37517561

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: BT , Price rise

I wonder what the actual impact is per subscriber?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

possibly not a lot directly as the prices are regulated but since it is pretty well all Openreach it will certainly have a significant effect on the capital expenditure

alanf
Aspiring Pro

On the radio today it was said that business rates overall are supposed to rise in line with inflation.  London and the South East will see increases but other parts of the country are supposed to see DECREASES. I wonder why BT with property all over the place is saying it will be hit so severely.

Community Veteran

The last increase was in 2008 and we are now, or will be, 9 years later but how that gives a four fold increase I have no idea unless they have also changed the basis

This clarifies it a little bit - but not much - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/09/virgin-media-warns-hike-business-rates-hurt-broadband-r...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Any excuse, is better than no excuse, for future planning of increases of charges....

BT is crying, with crocodile tears, about being charged too much for their business rates... and are going to appeal... however... don`t forget the excessive, disgustingly large profit that BT make PER SECOND, from the "services" they provide, at extortionate prices.... on present day charges.   remember, they have just increased the LINE RENTAL charge, AGAIN>..  even though the lines are old and decrepit, and many are "not fit for purpose"... those horrendous profits, they claim are to pay for new infrastructure... yet they are supposed to be there to pay for the maintainance of the existing infrastructure, and to increase the reliability of the present infrastructure.

This is a real "godsend" for them... to increase their charges AGAIN, but with a "government backed" reason for doing so, there is no way the average joe consumer will be able to challenge these future increases, in the way that BT intend to do.

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

Because BT Rates  will increase next year Fourfold ,  BB price  will go up for everyone Sad

In reality, or for what passes for reality in telecoms world, as most broadband is "free" it will mean another price rise in the pipeline for line rental.

Community Veteran

Found the original source http://www.broadbanduk.org/2016/09/30/business-rates-revaluation-will-hit-broadband-infrastructure-p...

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) announced last week a fourfold rise in business rates (taxes on the value of real estates) on some major infrastructure providers’ bills. The revaluation was judged “excessive” by BT, whose Bill increases from £165m to £743m per annum,  who added that the increase in rates will likely lead to higher prices for consumers and businesses. Virgin Media echoed BT’s concerns on the likely negative impact of the increase on future investment decision in telecoms infrastructure.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Irrespective of increases in business rates BT will still make a good profit for shareholders.

It's about time they considered most of their customers who will not see their income rise in line with, essental, cost of living items with BB being one of such items.

No doubt some will argue BB is not essential but IMO it is for most people.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

It wasnt so much the customer price rises .

Its an excuse not to hit the speed targets from OFCOM

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Your prob best off on a free adsl package with upto 17 meg speeds for 18 months Tongue 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero

Having "a negative impact" is one thing, but given they do not seem to be trying very hard to have a positive one just rubs salt in it. 

What a shambles.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Ah yes, that 'up to' baloney. 

They should be made to tell it like it is and not pick fictitious figures out of the air - for what it's worth they might just as well say 'up to 1.4 Terabits per second'.

Disingenuous does not even come close.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fastest-ever-internet-speed-1-4-terabits-achieved-london-1433465

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

rongtw wrote:

The telecoms giant warned that if the proposed new rates are brought in, "it could have a negative impact on future investment in the network".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37517561

Turnover for BT was £19,000,000,000 so I think they can afford £743M

Minivanman
Hero

Forget about what? Wink