cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Premium Email

Highlighted

BT Premium Email

Hi there .... I have had BT Premium Email for some years now, currently paying £7.50 a month as I am not a BT Broadband subscriber any more, having been with Plusnet since May 2015. 

I have read on this forum, although not a recent submission, that BT Premium Mail is now free to people with a Plusnet Broadband and Phone package. I spoke to a BT customer service agent today by phone and he said that's not so. I also spoke to a Plusnet customer service agent who also had not heard of the availability being true. 

Can anyone please confirm whether this is in fact correct and how they managed to establish that with BT? 😃

Thanks in advance! 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: BT Premium Email

@snoopy48 Can you give us a link to where you read it? Personally, I would doubt it.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

It has been mentioned before, however there was a lot of doubt, and no definitive links then.

I reckon perhaps the OP just got lucky!

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/BT-Premium-Email-now-free-with-Plusnet/m-p/1631221

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 51

Thanks, @Mustrum I think you are correct about the OP getting lucky. I still don't think it is a normal occurrence.

John
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,114

You can change to a webmail only package which is free.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

I`ve never heard of it (*bt premium email )_   What are you actually paying for  ? ? 

Highlighted

Pop and imap access mainly
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Erm.... isn`t that free with most email clients?     Never paid for POP with PN email via thunderbird... nor with gmail via thunderbird... so can`t see why BT should charge for it  ? ?    or am I missing something ?

Highlighted

Hi, as I said I was with BT for some 30 years for phone and internet but when I moved in 2015 I took the chance to change to Plusnet as recommended by a very tech savvy friend of mine.  I wanted to maintain my BT email address as obviously everything that moves with me online is wrapped around this email address and at first it was free but then they announced BT mail as a standalone package for people with other ISPs, which they called BT Premium Mail, was £1.80 a month with loads of storage but now they have upped that to £7.50 a month.  

Yes, the mention of free Premium mail for Plusnet customers was mentioned on this forum back in 2019 but I get the impression that may have been a special or one off, certainly it is not advertised anywhere but unless anyone knows anything different, I would love to know! 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Perhaps, now is a good time to change your email address to one that is not "locked" to the ISP.

Sign up to another email client... then gradually move over your contacts... to the new email address... can be done in small batches, whiles still keeping your BT email address...

If you have "Business Contacts" using your BT email address, then you probably have given them your phone number as well, so if they did email you on BT email, and it bounced, they would probably ring you up to find out why..

Highlighted

@shutter wrote:

Erm.... isn`t that free with most email clients?     Never paid for POP with PN email via thunderbird... nor with gmail via thunderbird... so can`t see why BT should charge for it  ? ?    or am I missing something ?

Yes, you're confusing a little between a client and a service.

To use a client like Thunderbird / Outlook etc. the Service needs to support POP / IMAP.

The charge here is for the BT email service to provide POP and IMAP access, rather than just webmail.

Providing a service isn't free - the likes of Gmail manage it by pushing ads at you and scanning your data (if it's free you are the product).

However, £7.50 a month is extortion. 

Customer / Moderator
Community Veteran

True... I am confused.... I get my emails....FREE...  and that is all I`m interested in really..  I don`t get ads pushed at me...can`t remember ever seeing an advert being sent from Gmail.... only get the very, very ,very ,very , occasional spam or scam emails. so, if they are selling on information about me, the people who buy it, are not getting much of a return for their "investment"  !

Average number of spam or scam emails per year... between 4 and 6 ....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

And as I understand it if you want to use Outlook now, that comes with a hefty annual charge, too.