cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT/Plusnet

dennisb66
Grafter

BT/Plusnet

Have just read on another forum site that Plusnet is part o fBT,is this correct? Huh
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: BT/Plusnet

Correct at the time of writing.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

A wholly owned subsidiary no less.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nadger
Rising Star

One of the reasons I joined them - got fed up with Pipex continually changing hands.
Community Veteran

http://www.plus.net/press/about_us.shtml
In January 2007 we were bought by BT. Now we run as an independent subsidiary from our offices in Sheffield. There are more than 200 of us working here and in 2008 we were awarded a ‘First Class’ one-star rating in the annual Best Companies to Work For survey.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To clarify: Plusnet is owned by BT Retail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

And they buy transmission,  ADSL, and telephony  services from BT Wholesale !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and get the cables repaired by BT Openreach  (all the above separate companies)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just out of interest if I switched provider from plusnet to BT would I get the same service in terms of speed & support but pay more for it ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

speed - almost certainly  Grin
service - most unlikely  Sad
N/A

but pay more for it ?

Yes, you would pay more.
haggis
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Just out of interest if I switched provider from plusnet to BT would I get the same service in terms of speed & support but pay more for it ?

Firstly Hi all Just back from BT
If you switch from Plus to BT beware the suport is terrible.Unless you use one of the home hubs (which I and a lot of others found rubbish) the Indian helpdesk fob you off with anything in the hope you disapear. Speeds are fine or at least mine are/were and at £130 a quarter for broadband and phone with anytime calls I say it's dearer over there .Seriously For my one and only fault as in no speed whatsoever I ended up using the cceo email address to get it fixed .India repeatedly told me there was nothing wrong it was my equipment or do many speed tests the line will reset etc ,It turned out to be a fried card in the exchange.Only took 5 weeks .Out of Plusnet ,Nildram and BT the only one have ever had problems with was BT .also they advertise an unlimited BB at £25 or so it is in effect 80GB or less and you get the warning But saying that I only ever got it once and that was because I dropped my usage thinking I'll never use that much.Depends on what you do really most ISPs will kill speeds for something such as P2P and I do believe some of th eP2p stuff is legal .
Also if you are having issues on a plusnet line then you could well still have the issues on a BT connection .It's really swings and roundabouts.Personally I avoided BT helpline as much as humanly possable. 
nadger
Rising Star

A former neighbour had BB with BT and popped in to ask if I could help with a problem he was having. He'd made numerous calls to Indian call centre and had received no help whatsoever.
Knowing the chap was a BT pensioner, who'd taken early retirement, I asked if he knew anyone in his former office, at MK,  who dealt with adsl.
It appeared that chap who'd been on next desk to him did so I suggested the obvious and next day there was an Openreach van outside his house and problem was fixed.
T'aint what you know etc etc  Wink