cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Phone Plans

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT Phone Plans

BT have a system that require you to sign up for a 12 month contract for all their phone plans except the basic plan.
So after 12 months your contract expires and you automatically get transferred to the Basic plan which for many people will work out more expensive.
Why they will not leave you on the same plan once that period has expired is beyond me !
Compare this with Plusnet ........ I am on a 12 month contract but at the end of that 12 months Plusnet are not going to switch me to another plan (or at least I hope not)
True BT is providing my phone service and Plusnet my broadband but even so I still cannot see any reason why a contract should not continue past he 12 month period unless there is a major change to the service such as a price increase.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: BT Phone Plans

Has it changed
It used to be that they kept you on a 12 month roiling contract to many users disgust
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Has it changed
It used to be that they kept you on a 12 month roiling contract to many users disgust

Not sure what a roiling contract is ?
Joking apart, our 12 month contract finished yesterday and we were automatically transferred to the basic one.
We have now signed up for a further 12 months
Community Veteran

Did they send you notification that they were transferring you to the basic plan?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

No they did not.
We have signed up for paperless billing (which reduces the cost)
Last year we could not understand why our phone bill had gone up so much so we ended up phoning BT and the person we spoke to explained that you needed to sign up at the end of the 12 month contract for a new contract.
I do get e-mails on a monthly basis telling me my BT bill is available at the BT site but nothing in the e-mail or the main BT page says anything about a change to your plan. It's only when you look at the Bill in detail and check out which plan you are on that you realise it has been changed.
It strikes me that they depend on users not having the time to check and just keep paying !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Exactly what did they change you to as the Basic plan is only for people claiming one of the following
    * Income Support
    * Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    * Employment Support Allowance (Income related) or
    * Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I am on their "unlimited" package.... i.e. free calls 24/7 (except the usual mobile and premium numbers etc)... and have been for quite some time.... when the contract period ends, they send me a reminder notice and "unless" I want to change, it remains unchanged... continues for the next period... (not sure if it is 12 or 18 months...)
randpwar
Grafter

Mine is same product as Shutter and works in precisely the same manner
David_W
Rising Star

Aye, BT are horrible with that and sticking you on a 12 month contract if you don't cancel.  I wanted to change to PlusNets phone service (perfect so far, cheaper than BT too!) but BT had given us a nice new 12 month contract which would have cost us £80 to get out of.  Luckily BT emailed me saying "I'm sorry, we're putting up prices" so I took that opportunity to cancel the BT account and switch to PlusNet for phones.  Phone bill went down from £42/month to, well, last bill was for £20/month including 24/7 freecalls and 300 international minutes and 20% mobile discount and I'm sounding like an advert for PlusNet  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am even luckier, on a Legacy 240 plan - 240 mins any time suited me and this is the cost
Billing period: 24/10/2010 to 23/11/2010 Product: Home Phone Anytime
Calls: £0.00
Call Features: £0.99
Line Rental: £11.25
TOTAL: £12.24
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Exactly what did they change you to as the Basic plan is only for people claiming one of the following
    * Income Support
    * Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    * Employment Support Allowance (Income related) or
    * Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)

My error.  I should have said I was on the Unlimited weekend call plan (12 month contract) and this was changed to Standard Line rental without any notification.
I have now signed up for the Unlimited Anytime package (Approx £12 a month line rental and after the first 3 months an additional charge of £4.95 a month) 12 month contract.
Assume it will be the same set up after 12 months, in that they will move me to the standard line rental.
As you correctly state the basic plan is only available for people who claim certain benefits.