Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Phone Boxes

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

BT Phone Boxes

Doubt anyone will know the answer to this as I guess you have not used one for years but yesterday I needed to use a phone, the very expensive 2G phone which I paid £30 for over a year ago had gone flat despite being charged and never used about 3 days ago, yes I should have charged it via the usb in my car but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Anyway back to the BT boxes, first one was completely vandalised, second one had no dialling tone, the last one worked, fortunate for me as the call was urgent and I was a fair way from home.

All 3 boxes had not been cleaned for what looked like years.

So the question is do BT still maintain these boxes ?

Anyone have any info about this ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT Phone Boxes

Like a lot of people it’s been many a year since I entered a phone box and the last time I did I couldn’t use it. Not because it wasn’t working, but I couldn’t stand the acrid reek of hot urine, it was literally making my eyes water and sting so I had to get out.

I just walked down the road and knocked on the first door I came to and asked there if I could use their phone and much to my relief they said yes. I gave them a pound for the trouble but worth every penny to me.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

The one in a village, that we visit often, has been disused as a phone box for many a year now.... it is a "community library"... it has had shelves put in, and is full of books, anyone can go and get a book, read it and return it.. ( hopefully ) .. and you can leave your own books there, as someone comes along regularly to clear them away, and re-stock the shelves... brill idea..  pity the phone don`t work, cos you could phone up, and see if your favourite book was "In stock"  ! ! ! ...Cheesy

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

... it has had shelves put in, and is full of books, ...

So, plenty of toilet paper provided for those that are that way inclined ...  Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Some are being put to other uses and BT did have sort of adopt a box scheme but my local community council were not interested in taking on '"the responsibilty" when I suggested it to them. 

Contacted BT about one near me a little while back that had it's door missing and they replaced it within a couple of days. It was made of wood but it looked the business. No idea if the phone worked though but still it was something.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous  The local intelligencia regularly wash the inside of our phone boxes out with P..s. A vital public service!!! Angry

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's it @TTman they are there as a convenience to the public not a public convenience.

Mav
Fixes: 431

Many have been used to house defibrillators.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

How I don't know @Mav but I read about one being used as an art gallery. Must have been postcards.

There was a sort of history programme about them on TV a little while back and by all accounts the top of the K2 box I think it was, was inspired by the dome of a mausoleum in St Pancras churchyard!

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A couple of weeks ago I was walking by one as it was being cleaned. All I can remember is it wasn't a BT van.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

It wouldn't be - BT outsourced all their cleaning (of anything) decades ago.  Sad

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Last I heard, BT claimed to be committed to maintaining their network of public telephones.  Since phone boxes are not subject to the usual stringent planning laws, a number of companies put up phone boxes simply so they can use the outside for advertising.  No-one is ever sure whether the phone inside actually works.

The last time I used one it had the remnants of an upmarket supermarket meal on the shelf so it possibly doubled up as a middle class vagrant's dining room.

I failed to get through on my first two attempts, and instead of giving me three minutes or whatever without paying, BT posted me two reference numbers to use in order to get my minutes back on another call.  Needless to say, I never used those, so BT made another 40p profit (minus the cost of having to send me a letter).

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I have seen them being power washed, usually by the same people that clean bus stops. You were lucky to find one that takes cash, I thought they were all phonecards/ credit cards now.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Marksfish 

The cleaning of phone boxes (not that I use them now) and bus shelters (which I do) seem have fallen by the wayside here in Carmarthenshire, and certainly in the more rural areas where we are that's for sure. Council cutbacks no doubt, but at least they are not littered with [-Censored-] packets like they used to be - and don't get me started on emptying those publis waste bins! Smiley

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

A fair number round this parts have been converted to ATM's. The one in our village is still very much a phone box and still gets used by various people. Last time I looked at the price per call, I went HOW MUCH! Needless to say I make sure the mobile is always ready to go.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?