Did you mean: 

BT PC

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

BT PC

Have BT gone language PC?

It certainly seems like it after getting this email from them

You'll soon be saying hello to L*****our engineer who'll be visiting you. If you need to get hold of them about the visit, you can call them on 0784******
We'll be in touch again to let you know what time they'll get to you.

Him and or her has now changed to 'them' and 'they'll' which make no sense added to which there is only ever one of 'them'.

I'm all for and accept that language changes with time and tide, but it needs to make some sense at least.   

PS. L***** turned out to be male.... I think. 🙄

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
19 REPLIES 19
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: BT PC

Hmm... rings a bell... ! ... I`m not too sure about Sam at Pulse8 either... !   could be either or... but I`m not going to ask "them"... ! Cheesy

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Should there be a generic word for him/her ?
 Best I can come up with is ‘it’, reckon that will offend a collective chunk of society....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Why, him or her is just fine by me - although calling some gender transitioners 'it' would certainly offend. 

Champnet
Champion

I’ll rephrase the question :

Should there be a generic word for him/her when the gender is unknown ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Champnet wrote:

Should there be a generic word for him/her when the gender is unknown ?

There already is. It is the ‘singular they’, which has been acceptable for centuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Champnet
Champion

@Anonymous  Thanks for the info it makes interesting reading but does it work in modern conversation ?

If I was told they will be here tomorrow I would expect more than one person.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Have BT gone language PC?

It certainly seems like it after getting this email from them

That was nice of BT.... is their customer service using email, or is that just for informing you about the time the engineer will be with you?

In my recent case, with Pulse8,... their customer service is geared to run, using emails, in both directions. and as part of the "conversation"... a "window" was given for the engineer to visit... we had a phone call from the engineer, saying he was just completing one job, and would be with us in about 30 minutes... he spent about 3 hours sorting it all out.. but never knew his name ! ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The singular they is understood perfectly well in everyday use by anyone who is not trying to make a political point. Google will, I am sure, provide reassurance on this matter.

*Edit: Just to be clear, the original poster in this thread asks whether BT ‘have gone Language PC’. The Person, of course, stands for ‘political’, hence my assertion that this is a political matter (which has been reported accordingly). I would also point out that BT is a (singular) company, and therefore should be treated as a singular entity linguistically. However, @Minivanman wrote as if it were a plural noun by writing ‘Have BT gone...’ rather than ‘Has BT gone...’. I would suggest, therefore, that @Minivanman has been hoisted with his own petard.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Anonymous You shoudn't feed the trolls.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well all sorted now, but not until another 'non gender specific' engineer turned up unannounced in the afternoon to do exactly what the first one did.

I now have a second phone (BT) number at no extra charge - Plusnet please note, and even though it will not get used it will be handy possibly maybe if there is a power cut and my internet goes down as a result.

Has anybody seen the lastest BT call charges?

Outrageous, but then what isn't these days. 😉

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Good to see you got sorted, @Minivanman and I agree a PSTN line is useful IF you get a power cut/internet failure.

I've not seen landline charges for a while - my mobile has unlimited calls, and the only person I need the phone for is another PN customer, so we get 60 minutes/call free anyway.Thumbs_Up

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@jab1 wrote:

... a PSTN line is useful IF you get a power cut/internet failure.

I've not seen landline charges for a while -

Agreed @jab1 I even contemplated having to use mine this morning when my FTTP went off for a while ('Optical' LED on the ONT showing red instead of green - first time in 5 years) as all my calls are VoIP via the fibre.

I sent a couple of emails with my phone and by the time I'd done that the fibre was working again. Before that I'd walked along the street to ask a neighbour whether his was off also, he confirmed it was and that BT had given him an estimated recovery time of 4 hours, so that saved me trying to get in touch with PN support.

Edit:  So fortunately I've continued to avoid BTs extortionate landline charges.  Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... interesting to hear some "good news" about BT/Openreach service for a change...

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

It will be sad day when you can't go to a comedy show and hear them say:

"A man walked into a bar, bought a drink and said".

Now it'll be:

"A person of indeterminate gender, walked into somewhere which may not have been a bar and may or not have said, in case they have a disability which means they can't speak".