cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Infinity advert

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

BT Infinity advert

Just heard (watched) an advert for BT Infinity.
"Eight times faster fibre broadband, Infinity, only from BT"
Does anyone else think this (at least) bends the advertising rules, implying that only BT can offer 8x faster (even if not actually saying exactly that).?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: BT Infinity advert

Well no "infinity" is only from BT, that will be how they get round it.
Fixes: 47

"Infinity 2 has arrived. Up to 8x faster than the UK average"......what Undecided
I hate these unquantified statements.
I changed my car last week and as part of the deal I got a half price MOT for the next 3 years.
"Half what price?" I asked. He didn't know.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

I'd assume, and I could be wrong, a half price MOT?  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The full basic charge which is about £50
Community Veteran

My MOT tester charges whatever he feels like depending on the mood he's in (up to the maximum allowed by the DOT).
The only thing I can be sure of is that I'll get a fair MOT from them as they have no interest in repairing a piddly base model Astra.

Quote from: David
I'd assume, and I could be wrong, a half price MOT?  Crazy

Which would be how much David assuming you know how much they charge normally which could be anything up to and including the full fee of £54.85 Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Be careful about half price MOT's. Some years ago I got a 'Free MOT Test' that came with some offers from a well known chain of Garages, the car failed on some suspension bushes so I took it to another garage that only did MOT's and it passed. Showed the Tester the failed certificate issued the previous week and he said, work it out for yourself ! No way would I issue a test certificate if there was anything wrong with those bushes, even if they were partly worn I would have listed it in the advice column.
As they say, nothing (or almost nothing) is free.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
"Infinity 2 has arrived. Up to 8x faster than the UK average"......what Undecided
I hate these unquantified statements.
I changed my car last week and as part of the deal I got a half price MOT for the next 3 years.
"Half what price?" I asked. He didn't know.
I See you are the guilty party from changing BT Infinity to half price MOT's !
It's not have a go at moderators week is it ?  Smiley

Thank god it's Chit Chat......but enough of the MOT stuff Embarrassed
Maybe BT offer a half price MOT when you sign up for Infinity Lips are sealed
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

BT are great! You have lots of features like free hotspots and digital cloud and a vault.
But here with plus net, can't complain about service  Wink
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@JamieDanjoux, BT I would not tuch with  a barge pole, and cloud storage I would not tuch with  a barge pole as well.
Bt vault is cloud storage
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

How would you know? According to your signature you have been with PN since 2001 and so to that you have never left? So you'd not have any experience with BT!  Whereas I have been with BT and enjoyed all my features such as the free wifi zones and the vault is not the same as cloud storage.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@JamieDanjoux, Wrong I am with NTL for my broadband, PlusNet for Dial-up, Force9 for some hosting.
Plus BT vault is cloud storage look in to it for yourself, on what is cloud storage.
[Edit]
Oh and BT Digital Vault is going
[quote=" BT Digital Vault"]
We'll soon be stopping BT Digital Vault and replacing it with BT Cloud.
If you've got files in BT Digital Vault, and don't have copies stored elsewhere, you need to download any you want to keep before 31 May 2013.
After 31 May, we'll delete your BT Digital Vault account and all the files stored there. Once we've done that, you won't be able to log in or get your files back.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

What the heck,  no one uses Dial up anymore !! and can get dial up on VirginMedia/NTL.  Also you can host on PN,  makes it very confusing being with all those companies.
Yes I am aware of what cloud storage is.  But most companies charge you whereas BT Cloud is included in the BT infinity option 3 package