cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hub 5...what to do with it?

plusmouse
Rising Star

BT Hub 5...what to do with it?

Since plugging in and setting up my PlusNet Router which is working fine, I have a BT Hub 5 spare. I know these can be used with PlusNet services, but I chose to use the PlusNet router as I wasn`t sure if I would need to change settings with the Hub 5 in order to use it with PlusNet services and because I didn`t want to mess up my first time connection, I didn`t bother trying.

I`ve also read that BT can ask for their Hub routers back due to recycling purposes and I don`t mind that, but should I hold onto it in case I ever need it? Or am I right in thinking as time passes, it will be obsolete anyway and I would be better getting a new one either from PlusNet or other source. Just don`t know what to do with it really.

21 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: BT Hub 5...what to do with it?

I personally keep a router spare.  If there is ever a problem with your connection it is useful (and one of the things you'll be asked to try whilst raising a fault) to try a different router.  If the problem is your router you could always buy a new one then, but if it isn't you'll have saved yourself some money.

In the past I've used a spare router as an Wireless Access Point to boost the signal in an area where it isn't great, so there are other uses as well!

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Personally I would set it up now to work with Plusnet and then store it somewhere safe as a backup for when/if your current router pops it's clogs.

That way you will be able to get online to arrange repair/replacement etc.

Edit: snap!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Marketman
Grafter

I have a BT HomeHub 5 and a Hub 3 which I use as wireless access points. The position of Plusnet's Hub 1 next to the BT master socket means that the wifi signal from it does not reach through our house.

plusmouse
Rising Star

All good points, thanks everyone. I will hang onto it then if it means I could plug it in and use it to get online if my PlusNet router dies on me at any point, although I don`t abuse it or move it about. My router is static by the phone socket downstairs and my laptop is in my room upstairs, so I use a long Ethernet cable and not wireless! I find wireless very dodgy and buffers a lot, although I havn`t use PlusNet`s wireless so it may be better.

So the question now is, if for example I had to use the HUB 5, plugged it in and had to configure it to use with PlusNet, is it just a case of logging into the router and changing the password and router address? I`ve no idea how to do this so would be good to have some simple instructions to hand just in case if you guys could help with that? I know how to plug these things in, but if my computer didn`t recognise it, I would be sat here a bit lost!

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

There's a sticky thread here on how to configure a BT Hub but if you configure it now it'll be a lot easier to swap in when you really need it!

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
plusmouse
Rising Star

Thanks Browni, will take a look. I see what you mean about having a spare router already set up but I`m always nervous about unplugging my current router when it`s just started working! I will take notes though from the link provided for reference. Thumbs Up

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Hang on to it, we have with ours and as long as it's not eating, drinking, or taking up much room...... Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
plusmouse
Rising Star

Will do Minivanman.It belongs to me anyway as I`ve had it for two years now (had Infinity 1 fibre from BT for 12 months and then ADSL for a further 12 months) so if they ask for it back, the won`t be getting it.

Minivanman
Hero

Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Hang on to it, we have with ours and as long as it's not eating, drinking, or taking up much room...... Wink

Although it/they won't be much use to you for connecting to the internet soon when you're on FTTP, unless they have an Ethernet WAN connection.  Wink

Minivanman
Hero

Very true, so what's it worth on ebay? Wink

plusmouse
Rising Star

Good point. Looks like it won`t be much use to me then. I only use one Ethernet cable in the back of my new PlusNet router just now and don`t really plan on adding more or messing with WAN? Havn`t a monkey`s what that is! Huh I don`t have any plans to have fibre either. Had Infinity 1 fibre with BT and the speeds were worse than ADSL. Hence the switch back to ADSL and a cheaper price. I think BT were pretending that my copper wiring could handle fibre speeds. It didn`t, but I paid extra for it all the same.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

plusmouse wrote:

Had Infinity 1 fibre with BT and the speeds were worse than ADSL. Hence the switch back to ADSL and a cheaper price. I think BT were pretending that my copper wiring could handle fibre speeds. It didn`t, but I paid extra for it all the same.

that makes no sense though.
If your copper line is capable of ADSL speeds then it is capable of at least those same speed on fibre. it's still the same copper line to the box on the street.

something else must have been the issue. it's simply not possible for it to be "worse" than ADSL simply due to the line.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

But the speed will drop out over different distances for each of the technologies, so it would be perfectly normal for a suitably long line to be fast on ADSL than VDSL:

ADSLvVDSL.gif