Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Essentials Broadband

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

BT Home Essentials Broadband

Has anybody here who is on benefits tried applying for the BT offer of half-price fibre broadband - only I'm currently having to jump through hoops trying get anywhere.

Seems that although I'm in receipt of pension credit on behalf of myself and the Mrs, as the BT account is in her name (it's just easier that way for us) that we are not eligible even though she is now qualifies for a state pension in her own right. 

Seems a bit daft, and I'm hoping they can cut through the red tape and "the computer says no" palaver, but at the moment it's not looking good which is a shame as it would save us about a tenner a month which although not a lot... every little bit helps.

Thoughts guys?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
33 REPLIES 33
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 201

Re: BT Home Essentials Broadband

@Minivanman 

Have I got this right, you are getting the pension credit but the BT account is in your other halfs name? Is this the reason why the computer says no? If so it looks like the answer is to transfer the BT account into your name.

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Try declaring that the Wife gets the credit, if it lets you continue then follow @Baldrick1 's advice......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Well yes that would be the answer but it would also be an unnecessary hassle.

Any letters we have receive the pension service is refers to the both of us. eg: Please retain it as evidence of Pension Credit entitlement for the following people:

Mr Fred Blogs

Mrs Fred Blogs

Anyways, we'll see how it progresses as the have asked me to phone them again next week in order to check if they have got something sorted out as it seems to have thrown a spanner in the works. In the meantime I just I'd ask around to see if others have had any problems. 

I'm a lot older than my Mrs so when we change things (as you do these days) like our energy or in this case our internet provider from Plusnet to BT in order to get those better deals, new accounts are in her name in order to save on any hassle should I pop my clogs first.

Seems like a good plan, but not so much of one when things like this happen. 🙂    

@Champnet 

Tried that earlier, but they said it was being rejected by their system which is what was happening to me when I tried applying on line and being told I was entering the wrong information. 🤔

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Minivanman wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Well yes that would be the answer but it would also be an unnecessary hassle.

Any letters we have receive the pension service is refers to the both of us. eg: Please retain it as evidence of Pension Credit entitlement for the following people:

Mr Fred Blogs

Mrs Fred Blogs

There`s your problem then..... I thought you were Mr Graham Blogs... Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

You are right @shutter, it's only the Mrs that gets called Fred. 😆

Thomas A. Edison
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 190

@Minivanman  IIRC didn't you move to FTTP ?

Does the Home Essentials rate apply to FTTP or would you have to move back to FTTC ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@MisterW wrote:

Does the Home Essentials rate apply to FTTP or would you have to move back to FTTC ?

@MisterW 

Answering even though the question wasn't directed at me; yes, the scheme applies to FTTP but I believe it only covers the lower speed tiers, i.e. 40/10 and 80/20 Mbps.  The headline offer is £15 per month which is for the lower option and AFAIK the 80/20 is £20 per month.  A friend told me a few days ago that he's applied and been accepted; he went for the 80/20 option.

In areas where FTTP has been installed in the first instance, there would be no option to go back to FTTC, and I don't think the preferred option would be to move someone back to FTTC where it has been overlaid with FTTP as that would be a retro-step in the scheme of discontinuing the copper network.

EDIT: to add this link   https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials

RobPN
Hero

Putting my own address into the checker at the link in the previous post and saying I'm not already a BT customer gives the result below (I'm on the PN FTTP trial at 80/20 Mbps);

BTessentials.PNG

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Thanks @RobPN , that just about covers it. 🙂

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Seems like a good deal.... however... there may well be hidden costs.... e.g.. if you do not already have fibre to your premises? Details, (from what I have read on the site) should be given in the sign up process, when they tell you the actual cost of connecting you... you can then cancel the order without penalty..

Another interesting little fact from their site...

Ownership of broadband hubs and TV boxes
  • As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers. Not applicable for Hubs and Wi-Fi Discs purchased outright.
  • When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.
  • You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.
  • If you prefer, you may also drop your items off in an EE store (see BT.com/returns for more details)

I notice that in the "normal course of events"... "normal" new customer prices will rise during the contract period, with the cpi whatever increase they say... also that  new customer prices who sign up for 24month will have a significant price increase on month 25..  

so.... my friends.... Buyer Beware...  ( all that glitters is not gold ) Huh

RobPN
Hero

You raise some good points @shutter , BUT;

@shutter wrote:

Seems like a good deal.... however... there may well be hidden costs.... e.g.. if you do not already have fibre to your premises? Details, (from what I have read on the site) should be given in the sign up process, when they tell you the actual cost of connecting you... you can then cancel the order without penalty..

Most people who have FTTP showing as available to them in the BT checker will not have to pay what are known as 'Excess Construction Costs'.  These ECCs are usually limited to premises which need, for example, extra poles or ducting to be installed because they aren't close enough to the network, and although I can't remember the exact figure, BT have been known to 'absorb' the first £thousand or two under normal circumstances.

Another interesting little fact from their site...

Ownership of broadband hubs and TV boxes
  • As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers. Not applicable for Hubs and Wi-Fi Discs purchased outright.
  • When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge.   <snip> 

That's fairly common knowledge, although I guess not everyone will know it.  No doubt customers would be informed either when signing up to, and/or leaving BT, so shouldn't really be a problem.

I notice that in the "normal course of events"... "normal" new customer prices will rise during the contract period, with the cpi whatever increase they say... also that  new customer prices who sign up for 24month will have a significant price increase on month 25..  

so.... my friends.... Buyer Beware...  ( all that glitters is not gold ) Huh

Yes, it does say that, but that seems to conflict with the headline 12 months contract as clearly shown in the image at my post #9 above.  Undecided

EDIT:  I suspect the price rises you're referring to will apply to those people who come off benefits and continue with the service because it clearly says on the main page;

If you qualify, you’ll get Home Essentials for a year, even if you come off benefits.

After 12 months, we’ll run another eligibility check. If you still qualify,
we’ll keep you on the same plan. If anything’s changed, we’ll let you know.

RobPN
Hero

I heard on Newsnight yesterday that the state pension is possibly in line to rise by around 8% next April due to the 'triple-lock' using the apparent rise in wages.  If it does, IMO that may mean that at least some people who are now receiving Pension Credit (guarantee credit) won't receive it after such a rise, and will therefore lose their qualification for the BT Home Essentials scheme (and maybe along with other benefits such as Council Tax reductions etc.).

I don't know exactly how the government determines the level at which the cut-off point kicks in but I imagine it's a different inflation rate than wages, BICBW.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

That's one heck of a surprising jump Rob and not something I've read in the news so thanks for the heads up - I'll check it out. 👍

It would certainly affect those like myself who are in receipt of pension credit but cynical me see a rise that would leave me worse off. Council tax alone (from which I am currently exempt) would mean having to pay just over a thousand pounds a year if that benefit was removed. 

Give with one hand take with the other leaving you with even less? 

No surprises there. 🙂

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero

Just my take on how it works @Minivanman so I could be talking rowlocks. Wink

Everyone in receipt of Pension Credit will have their own particular circumstances, so I suspect that I may be jumping the gun for many.

As I see it, the lower the proportion of someones income is from their pension compared to the PC element, then the possible 8% rise in their pension won't cause them to 'overtake' the amount set by the government as the minimum you need to live on, so they would simply see a reduction in the PC amount to take them to that level.  So put another way, the higher the proportion of their present income is derived from PC, the safer they'll be from losing PC completely.  Someone who is presently only receiving a very small amount in PC probably won't be as fortunate.

And if you personally were to lose your entitlement to PC, I don't think it automatically means you have to pay full Council Tax because AFAIK there is some sort of reduction based on how low your income is.