cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Connection Charge.

Community Veteran

BT Connection Charge.

My dad is a disabled pensioner and will soon be moving into a pensioners bungalow. We want to get a BT line in with the most basic of packages purly for security. Will he have to pay the £125 connection charge?
There was a BT line in the house at some stage but for some reason it has been completely removed.
17 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Connection Charge.

Yes you will need to pay for connection because there is no line.  You may want to think about getting NTL/Virgin Media or The Post Office to put the line in.
But Don't, Don't go with BT
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

http://www.btplc.com/inclusion/Needhelp/BTBasic/faqs.htm
Q. Can I get BT Basic if I don’t have a BT phone line?
A. No. You need to have a BT phone line to get BT Basic. If you don’t have a BT phone line then you will need to change to BT before you can get BT Basic. A one-off connection charge may apply to some customers. We'll let you know if this charge applies once you've ordered and we've made some checks. If the charge does apply you can spread the cost over a 12 month period (without incurring any additional charges). If you do choose to spread this connection charge, you will have to pay £24.99 as the 1st initial payment, followed by 4 quarterly payments of £25 each.
So it looks as though they charge £100 and to be honest there is absolutely nothing wrong with BT for phone only
Community Veteran

I might be imagining it - but I seem to recall Mand said they could re-enable a line cheaper than BT retail - or was I dreaming ?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The OP says that the line "has been completely removed" so it sounds more than just re-enabling the line.
N/A

From a post in Rants and Raves it seems that PN are putting in lines at half the price of BT (although I haven't looked for confirmation of that).
The problem is that I suppose it is for broadband too and not standalone telephone service.
With regards to BT I still think that it is the best one to go for as it will be straightforward and hassle-free (hopefully).
However, it might be worth having a good root round the BT site because they sometimes have offers hidden away that are not advertised.
This is how I have got my current service which was a good deal. Wouldn't have known about it if not for this forum.
There is a department that is dedicated just to special offers so if you can locate them (and that's a job in itself) you might get some help/advice, particularly as he comes into a special category due to disability. You can also then check about the basic package for him.
I found that weekday mornings were best for reaching a UK call centre.
PS Hope that your dad likes his new bungalow and settles well into it. Living on one level is great - can thoroughly recommend it.
nadger
Rising Star

On a recent enquiry ( 3rd Feb)  I was told £49.99 for Plusnet to do a new install.
johpal
Grafter

I don't think PN supply telephone only service; it's usually an add-on to broadband. Probably not what the OP wants.
nadger
Rising Star

Good point - Plusnet only supply phone line on it's own if one has broadband + phone and happen to migrate to another ISP.
@Oldjim I make that £124.99 ( one at £24.99 + four at £25)  Wink
Community Veteran

Didn't a PN staffer also suggest that if you signed us for a free dial up internet they would do the phone service. ?
Not a normal service as it has to done manually ?
nadger
Rising Star

Overall it does seem that if one wants BT Basic one will have to use them for line install.
I don't like the quote that they'll tell you what charges apply AFTER you have placed order.
Naturally I think that pensioners should get free phone lines - not that I'm in any way biased.
Community Veteran

Free phone , free buses ,  Smiley
Many pensioners probably cost somebody far more for free buses that they would for free phone, if buses around here are representative.
nadger
Rising Star

I've actually used my bus pass on one day only - that was to go from park & ride to/from  hospital in Oxford.
Free TV licence in just over 4 months time  Cheesy That'll actually be worth more than a free phone line  Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: poppy
However, it might be worth having a good root round the BT site because they sometimes have offers hidden away that are not advertised.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls
The most recent offer of free installation by BT in return for an 18-month contract ended January 31st (unless secretly further extended). There were problems finding BT staff who knew that the offer existed even before that date. Someone I know was told that the offer only applied if taking broadband but that is not one of the conditions listed.
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Notice09_boo/2-FrameworkImpl337855.htm
BT is still advertising free connection for people taking BT Call + Broadband packages.
http://www.calls.bt.com/ppc/callpackages/?keyword=bt&s_cid=con_ppc_zedmedia_vidSE7_Calls%20and%20Lin...
N/A

In that case, I reckon that it would be well worth Sean ringing BT because this offer might be extended, particularly if he explains the situation.
As you say, the staff 'don't know' about them so I had to send the URL to their email address before they could do anything about it. When they agree, they seem to have problems accounting it.
My advice would be to specifically ask for the special promotions department because I know that they do have one and I had a much easier time getting my friend on the offer when I was finally put through to this department.