cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Boxes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT Boxes

At the end of our road we have one of those BT Boxes (Approx 3ft x 3ft x 2ft) I Guess there is a correct name for them but as I am not sure what it is I have described it.
It seems that every few days a BT engineer has the box open and is doing some work in there. Can anyone add to my knowledge about why the frequent visits to this one box ?
All the phones in this area are connected underground & no new building development is taking place around here.
9 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: BT Boxes

Could it be this, or has your exchange already been upgraded?:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
I Guess there is a correct name for them but as I am not sure what it is I have described it.
They are normally called cabinets and underground cables terminate inside them.
randpwar
Grafter

Actually, thinking about it, I thought I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that BT put FTTP and FTTC into new cabinets which stand close by the original cabinets….or did I just dream that?
nadger
Rising Star

I've seen similar comments.
They are currently putting fibre towards where we live but I've not, as yet, seen any new cabinets. BT site is currently quoting completion by end of Dec so have fingers crossed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

look ere yu lot Google it dont guess
http://www.leyingitout.co.uk/2010/01/what-is-fttc-and-how-does-it-work/
two boxes, the new one taller, lighter shiny green, with ventilation holes in the front
itsme
Grafter

Currently Openreach will do 100 bulk migrations, LLU or WBC per exchange per night limited to 3 to 4 exchanges in an area. This will involve 12 to 16 engineers. So will be intersting to see how many changeovers can be done and the number of engineers needed for fibre. With the current WBA system 2 jumpers are removed and 2 new jumpers are run in on the MDF at the exchange. With FTTC it seem that 2 jumpers will be removed and 1 run in at the exchange with 2 jumpers being done in the PCP.
Also with the schematic supplied by Openreach I can't see how fibre can be offered to  LLU companies.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the info and Google link.
Unfortunately our box is a grey one & having checked on the BT Infinity website the good news is that we are in line for an upgrade.
The bad news is that it's December 2011.
Still, can't grumble as there will still be some folks without any type of Broadband a year from now.
Not sure if BT have ever given a date when most or all of the UK will have access to broadband ?
nadger
Rising Star

If it's an existing cabinet it probably just means that Openreach engineer is sorting out a fault on someone's line. They tend to work their way back to the exchange checking at each cabinet.
Community Veteran

I always get worried when I see them in that box as my phone line goes to it !