cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Basic and Broadband

donne
Grafter

BT Basic and Broadband

An elderly friend of mine has just been given a laptop and wants to get on line.  Unfortunately he is on the BT Basic tariff with BT (available to those on benefit - pension credit in his case) and he has been told that he can't have a broadband connection while remaining on BT Basic.  Whilst he's prepared to fork out for the basic broadband service like Plusnet provides, he can't manage the extra cost of abandoning the BT Basic tariff.  It seems wrong to me that the less well-off should be penalised in this way, particularly since the internet is increasingly the preferred way of accessing government services.  Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: BT Basic and Broadband

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1336557 might shed some light!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 101

Looking at a few sites it would seem to be yes but no. Here is the yes: http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=195eaa52-9127-4eca-91c9-a1c0db252ca2
However when people try and get it BT say no... T&C's are hard to find.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

http://www.btplc.com/inclusion/Needhelp/BTBasic/BTBasic.pdf
Can I have broadband with BT Basic?
Yes. Customers of our new BT Basic service can also enjoy the benefits
of BT Total Broadband. You can take any one of the standard BT Total
Broadband packages, which means you can choose which one best
meets your needs and your budget. If you do take a broadband service,
we will add this to the BT Basic line rental of £13.50 every three months.

No mention of any other broadband supplier services...but then there wouldn't be Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As he has a BT line, then I would suspect that he is quite entitled to ask PN or any other ISP to provide a broadband service on that line.....
A bit like Network Rail own the tracks, (BT own the wires) and train operators run the trains,  (other ISP`s provide the Broadband)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

No mention of any other broadband supplier services...but then there wouldn't be

I thought that might be the case Strat but Adie's reference is pretty clear...
As a company committed to digital inclusion, BT has ensured that BT Basic customers will be able to have broadband, from any ISP of their choice, on their subsidised line. This is a departure from previous social telephony schemes and reflects the increasingly important role that the internet plays in people’s lives.
Fixes: 47

Agreed but the pdf I linked to and quoted from is probably the more public facing of the two documents and the one most members of the general public will see and read.
On there it makes no mention of broadband from any supplier and people might infer that only BT Total Broadband is possible on the line.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

I can't find a specific mention but with light user one wasn't allowed to use services like 18185 so would imagine this will also apply to BT Basic.
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the helpful comments.  It does look as though it should be possible to get Plusnet Value broadband added to the BT Basic package.  I'll advise my friend to make some further enquiries.