cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Advert.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT Advert.

BT has taken some full page adverts in the daily newspapers stating that broadband speeds are faster here than in France, Germany, Italy & Spain and the aim is to move from superfast to ultrafast.

Perhaps there is a word missing here they deliberately excluded, the word being, ' Reliable'

I guess most users would prefer that connections were reliable and stable before moving on to ultrafast... whatever the definition of ultrafast is.

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: BT Advert.

Of course what BT don't say (apart form "reliable") is that Canada has up to 300Mbps down & 150Mbps up on their Bell "Fibe" service, so BT is slower than Canada... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Those kind of adverts are always misleading... as they quote the fastest speed that they can have available, on the shortest possible connection line..( fibre or copper wire)..

A bit like saying... a jag is faster than a 2cv.... BUT.. when they are in a queue of traffic, they can both only go as fast as the car in front.. ( no, I don`t mean a Toyota ! ! ! !)..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The BT adverts are a triumph of marketing over reality. They should focus their management efforts on moving away from copper "solutions" for Broadband over to Fibre to the Premises.(FTTP). As a BT shareholder I'm well aware the current BT management are not performing well.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Of course what BT don't say (apart form "reliable") is that Canada has up to 300Mbps down & 150Mbps up on their Bell "Fibe" service, ...

At a (high) price apparently.

I think you've said that before a while back (or perhaps it was someone else) and since I read whoever it was, this article jumped out at me stating; "The problem with Canada? The price of broadband is too damn high"

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Looks like BT are trying to buy everything.. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/09/bt-talks-bbc-talktalk-buy-youview-iptv-platform.html

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I thought that BT wasn't doing too bad; they pay a decent dividend to their shareholders. The government shouldn't have privatised them if they thought they might want a proper telecommunications service.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

RobPN wrote:

At a (high) price apparently.

According to someone I know over there, the 300/150 service, with real fibreoptic cabling to his house and not the joke that is FTTC that we have, is about CA$50 a month (approx £30), so is around the same price as the 40/20, or 50/10, or whatever it is I'm paying for is, so, if that's a high price, then we're being well and truly boned by BT... Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero

Or, not unlike McDonald's latest 'Legend Burger' range advertised on television as "always available at McDonald's" - then at the bottom of the advert it reads "subject to availability" 

A contradiction surely? Huh

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.