cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSkyB bid withdrawn

Community Veteran

BSkyB bid withdrawn

News International has withdrawn its bid to buy the balance of BSkyB it doesn't already own.
BSkyB
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BSkyB bid withdrawn

OFCOM is also to investigate if News International is a fit and proper company to continue to hold the minority share they currently  hold in BSkyB.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah. the bid is withdrawn for 6 months thats all. You don't REALLY think it's gone away permanently do you?
Murdoch is a big powerful determined man. He'll be chasing after BSkyB again in the future. The MPs are celebrating claiming they've achieved some sort of miracle in in reality they have done nothing except turn it into a politically agreed delay. They're all idiots.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

There is no mention of the withdrawal being for 6 months.  It is very unlikely a new bid will be placed in the near future.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Artmo it was all over ITV and Channel 4 news this evening Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

There has been nothing said officially about a 6 month moratorium.  Commentators may surmise what will happen but that has not come from NI.  Common sense would make it impossible for such a thing to be said.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: okrzynska
Yeah. the bid is withdrawn for 6 months thats all. You don't REALLY think it's gone away permanently do you?

Nope - I'm sure another company would be set up. Same owners and senior management, but it'll be enough to fool the majority of the public that because it has a different name, it has nothing to do with their predecessors.
Same thing will no doubt happen with NOTW's replacement before then, which won't be related to them at all. Honest.
Community Veteran

Not after this - the FBI is to investigate News Corp. This from AP
NEW YORK (AP) — A law enforcement official says the FBI has opened an investigation into allegations that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. sought to hack into the phones of Sept. 11 victims.
The official spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.
New York City-based News Corp. has been in crisis mode.

matt_2k34
Grafter

I can see him selling off his newspapers (they dont make THAT much money anyway, particularly the now defunct NotW)
and buying BSKYB. This way the monopolies commission cant complain he owns all the media, and he gets what he wants, with a big pile of cash to spare.
I personally LOVE this news, long time non-supporter of their corporate greed. News Corp can kiss my ass Smiley  Grin  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And I dont care, satisfied with Freeview and Freesat, plus the thousands of other free from other places
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34
I can see him selling off his newspapers (they dont make THAT much money anyway, particularly the now defunct NotW)
and buying BSKYB. This way the monopolies commission cant complain he owns all the media, and he gets what he wants, with a big pile of cash to spare.

The NOTW was the only paper that made serious money for him and this helped him to cross-finance his other papers. I read the Sunday Times each week and find it an excellent paper that does some very good investigative journalism.
As for BSky B I can't think that he will be allowed to buy the remaining interest that he doesn't already own.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I can't think that he will be allowed to buy the remaining interest that he doesn't already own.

In the companies current state, i agree. But as i said id expect him to cut his losses (now) and take on BSKYB as it does make more money, and will leave him with a TV empire, rather than total media control.
just my 2p of course  Wink
Regards

And I dont care

Then why comment? ... seriously..  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

This afternoon Rupert Murdoch requested a meeting with the solicitor and family of Millie Dowler and it has been announced the meeting got underway in the past few minutes.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Wanting to settle out of court before a massive legal whip-crack by 'Murcoch'  Roll eyes(and i couldnt of put it better myself!)
heh
Regards
Community Veteran

The family solicitor said money was never discussed and Murdoch seemed genuinely sorry for the phone tapping.