cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

christmas
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 725
Thanks: 82
Registered: ‎16-01-2011

Re: BREXIT

I've seen some daftest arguments but the one demanding to know what plan people voting remain had in mind has to one of the silliest.

Some people seem to forget there were changes due in September if the UK voted remain.

Maybe some people felt they went too far, distancing the UK from the EU and voted Leave. Funny   

christmas
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 725
Thanks: 82
Registered: ‎16-01-2011

Re: BREXIT


@wotsup wrote:

.....  at least Macron was honest enough to say he could not allow France an in / out referendum because there is enough anti-EU feeling in the country to trigger Frexit. 


That sounds like an admission why Brexit oppose a democratic vote of the people, because Brexiteers know voters having now seen the outcome of their vote will make a different choice. 

christmas
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 725
Thanks: 82
Registered: ‎16-01-2011

Re: BREXIT


@jelv wrote:

 


Cameron gave up on the negotiations before the referendum (a) because he thought the result would be remain and (b) because he was useless.

What he should have done is set out how he wanted the EU to change (including a demand for an agreed statement that we would not move any further towards the United States of Europe) .....


The final deal stated...

What the final deal said: "It is recognised that the United Kingdom, in the light of the specific situation it has under the Treaties, is not committed to further political integration into the European Union. The substance of this will be incorporated into the Treaties at the time of their next revision in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Treaties and the respective constitutional requirements of the Member States, so as to make it clear that the references to ever closer union do not apply to the United Kingdom." 

wotsup
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 123
Thanks: 129
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: BREXIT


@artmo wrote:


 We've said before that UK citizens have been eating bleached chicken and hormone treated beef for many years. Millions of visitors to the US have enjoyed them over the years and I've never heard of any negative effects being suffered by anyone.  Their beef in particular is delicious and much more tasty than ours.

.


I have to agree,  I gave up European ( this includes UK ) beef years ago - it is normally tough and tasteless compared to US beef ( and no it is not my tastebuds failing because US steaks still taste great to me, and very tender ). As for chlorine chicken - Chicken is the main source of salmonella poisoning and I would be glad to be sure it was not infected.  How do you think EU disinfects chicken,  with Evian water ? ( actually if you write Evian backwards that is what people who buy it are ).  If you ever buy a packet of salad it will have been washed with chlorinated water,  as will the vegetables you buy ( because farmers fields are routinely irrigated with recycled sewage water and fertilised with sewage sludge). If I am given a choice I actually prefer chlorine to deadly pathogens, after all our tap water contains Chlorine,  as do swimming pools.

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Posts: 11,515
Thanks: 365
Fixes: 14
Registered: ‎01-09-2007

Re: BREXIT

All water is recycled sewage.

What do you think rain is?

wotsup
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 123
Thanks: 129
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: BREXIT


@VileReynard wrote:

All water is recycled sewage.

What do you think rain is?


How rain is made - 101

Water is EVAPORATED to produce rain, you distill water by evaporation and re-condensation.   Rain is perfectly clean and sterile distilled water when it leaves the clouds ( unless an easy-jet flight has just gone through the cloud, or a local volcano has erupted) , it picks up some chemicals as it passes through the air and it collects more things like pesticides and fish poo as it travels down our rivers - but it cannot collect sewage on its journey from cloud to the ground.

RobC
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 332
Thanks: 59
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT


@RobPN wrote:

If the garbage food you describe makes its way to the UK (I, and I suspect many others, don't want it either), will we be forced to buy it?  I don't think so, and personally, as I do now, I'll continue buying British produce whenever possible.


 

Are you really that clueless, or just playing a part that suites what you say?

They will NOT be labelled as such, and labeling products as 'UK fresh' would be 'discriminatory' and allow US manufacturers to sue the UK.

 

You really do need to look at the TIP, TTIP and NAFTA terms if you are NOT just playing a part.

 

Even Americans are resisting the anti labeling laws being driven by these American mass producers of [-Censored-].

 

Another link if you didn't like one of your own rags saying it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-08/why-chlorine-chicken-from-america-inspires-dread-...

 

 

and here

https://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors/item/16629-usda-approves-import-of-poultry-processed-...

 

"And because the poultry will be processed, it will not require country-of-origin labeling. Nor will consumers eating chicken noodle soup from a can or chicken nuggets in a fast-food restaurant know if the chicken came from Chinese processing plants."

 

"Because the poultry is originally coming from the United States or other countries approved by the USDA, inspectors from the USDA will not be required on site in China when it is being processed, according to the New York Times"

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Posts: 11,515
Thanks: 365
Fixes: 14
Registered: ‎01-09-2007

Re: BREXIT

That's what recycling is.

It's water that's used many times......... Crazy3

Jonpe
Champion
Posts: 2,186
Thanks: 613
Fixes: 8
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: BREXIT

Like recycled toilet paper you mean?

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Posts: 11,515
Thanks: 365
Fixes: 14
Registered: ‎01-09-2007

Re: BREXIT

I think the cost of recycling toilet paper makes it uneconomical.

Since we make toilet paper out of trees imported from Sweden, things may change after Brexit. Lips are sealed

Luzern
All Star
Posts: 3,647
Thanks: 416
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: BREXIT

Please pass on both sides will be the slogan! And maybe news on line use will reduce in favour of paper. This can be dual purpose read and wipe, as we did in WW2. For my family it was the Daily Herald; now being more up market nothing but the Telegraph will do.Crazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Pro
Posts: 568
Thanks: 113
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎25-07-2007

Re: BREXIT

News in the loos could be very time consuming when searching for the other parts of the article, if they still existed.....

RobC
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 332
Thanks: 59
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT


@Jonpe wrote:

Like recycled toilet paper you mean?


 

 

I think I can understand where you are coming from with that.

Reason-less (we do keep asking) Brexit fanatics do seem to keep presenting the same old ship,

No matter how many times it gets proven sunk and not even a short term floater.

 

 

 

Rapthorne
Rising Star
Posts: 56
Thanks: 18
Registered: ‎11-01-2018

Re: BREXIT

Teresa May needs to do the right thing and stop the process.

 

I say this as someone who voted remain but respects the result, but at this point we are sprinting towards a cliff edge. If May stopped article 50, history would remember her as the prime minister that saved the country from itself but as it stands, she's putting her party ahead of the fate of the country.

I think right now everyone except the most ignorant and foolish hardcore brexiteers, and those with 6 figure salaries who won't be impacted personally anyway, admit that leaving with no deal in place would be a complete disaster for the UK and indeed all of the UK's current trading partners.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
RobPN
All Star
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 357
Fixes: 4
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: BREXIT


@christmas wrote:

@@@Rob wrote:

@christmas

ISTM you have your lines crossed particularly regarding the fish supplied to UK fish & chip shops, which is mainly cod.

In general, the UK does not 'export' cod, although there have been occasions where cod was landed at other EU ports due to price differential between what the UK market was paying and what another EU country would bear,  The amount of cod caught by UK boats is nowhere near enough to satisfy UK demand so it's obvious that the deficit will need to be imported, very little of which is from other EU countries.

 It stands to reason that to meet UK demand, cod needs to be supplied from non-local fishing grounds, which in turn obviously necessitates freezing to keep it in prime condition.  Frozen fish is often fresher than so-called fresh fish, and to suggest that Brits prefer cheaper non-fresh fish is insulting.

 


My fishing tackle is not crossed you are confirming what I indicated.

You point out a vast amount of fish is imported from Iceland & China....did it swim here?

 

 


@christmas

Now you're either confused or just being ridiculous!

 


 

It's not insulting to point out Brits prefer cheap food, ...

 

 


Not exactly what you originally said, quote "Brits prefer cheap and not so fresh fish", to which I countered frozen is often fresher, which is perfectly true.  How do think your fresh fish arrives at its point of sale, does it fly?

 


 

Re cod in 2010 UK vessels loaded landed 14.7 Tonnes in the UK while only 5.9 Tonnes was from foreign vessels. UK vessels landed 11.1 Tonnes abroad.

 

 

 

 

 


Probably about enough for one of my local fish & chip shops.