Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Jonpe
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 8

Re: BREXIT

@christmas's post 1358.

Please do not attribute unintended meaning to my post(s).  I was merely pointing out the hyperbole in the former British ambassadors' and high commissioners' warning.

If I'm still around in 70-100 years, I'll invite you to my birthday party.  My birthday is not at Christmas so maybe christmas will be at my party Laugh .  My staff pass at work expires when I'm 115 so perhaps my employer knows something I don't.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

@christmas's post 1358.

Please do not attribute unintended meaning to my post(s).  I was merely pointing out the hyperbole in the former British ambassadors' and high commissioners' warning.

The diplomats talk of a "national crisis" it was you who bizarrely drew a comparison with World War 2, not them.

Yesterday the government lost yet another vote, previously the government lost a vital vote by the biggest margin in Parliamentary history and claims the only alternative is no deal, that is surely a 'national crisis'.

It's a national crisis because we have a government that can't govern, tied itself up in knots. As companies see no deal as more likely many are partly or fully moving out of the UK,  foreign money coming into the UK appears to be buying up British companies on the cheap.

Due to a new IT system not invented yet British citizens will from next year live to the ripe old age of 500.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN wrote: 

@christmas

I take it you are aware that there are different species of fish?

A lot of the fish exported to the EU is shellfish and species that the UK market doesn't have a taste for.

The preferred species for UK tastes which comprise the vast majority of fish sold in UK fish & chip shops consists of species such as Cod, Haddock etc., and those species prefer the colder waters to the north of the UK and beyond.  Ah, that's why they're imported!  Roll eyes 

Of course I know there are different types of fish, cakes, prawn rings & fingers for example.

I believe I had already indicated certain types of fish caught in UK waters aren't to the liking of the British palette.

I also split the fishing industry into Inshore & Offshore to indicate their is a difference.

You fell into a trap, the 90% of fish that ends up in our fish & chips is the same species as the premium fish that I mentioned being sold to our EU cousins. The difference is the method used to catch, process and store the fish, Brits prefer cheap and not so fresh fish.

When the government announced a 200 fishing zone & leaving the 1964 London Convention the MP Neil Parish repeatedly asked the Fisheries Minister; "...but will there be more fish"....it was asked in a jokey manner but it made a point.

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Jonpe wrote:

@christmas's post 1358.

My staff pass at work expires when I'm 115 so perhaps my employer knows something I don't.

Perhaps that you aren't eating enough fresh fish ...

.. Possibly because you don't seem to know the difference despite @christmas trying to inform you?

Angel

https://brexitlies.com/

You can’t claim that a herbal diet drink will make customers thinner,
but you can claim that £350m a week will go to the NHS instead of the European Union.
RobPN
All Star
Fixes: 4

@christmas wrote

You fell into a trap, the 90% of fish that ends up in our fish & chips is the same species as the premium fish that I mentioned being sold to our EU cousins. The difference is the method used to catch, process and store the fish, Brits prefer cheap and not so fresh fish. 

@christmas

ISTM you have your lines crossed particularly regarding the fish supplied to UK fish & chip shops, which is mainly cod.

In general, the UK does not 'export' cod, although there have been occasions where cod was landed at other EU ports due to price differential between what the UK market was paying and what another EU country would bear,  The amount of cod caught by UK boats is nowhere near enough to satisfy UK demand so it's obvious that the deficit will need to be imported, very little of which is from other EU countries.

The largest exporters of cod to the UK are Iceland, Denmark China, Germany and Russia. In 2015, the most common import format was frozen fillets (63%) followed by frozen whole (13%).

Five Exporters of Cod to the UK 2015

2015 IMPORTS

% CHANGE vs 14

AVERAGE £/KG

VALUE

£000’S

VOLUME TONNES

VALUE

VOLUME

£/KG

% CHANGE

Cod Total Imports

£439,891

7.3%

-0.9%

£3.81

8.3%

Iceland

£159,582

1.4%

-2.9%

£5.13

4.4%

China

£70,990

6.7%

-8.0%

£3.12

15.9%

Russia

£43,359

38.3%

26.7%

£3.38

9.2%

Norway

£38,717

-7.0%

-16.3%

£2.96

11.1%

Germany

£34,369

23.6%

17.8%

£4.29

4.9%

It stands to reason that to meet UK demand, cod needs to be supplied from non-local fishing grounds, which in turn obviously necessitates freezing to keep it in prime condition.  Frozen fish is often fresher than so-called fresh fish, and to suggest that Brits prefer cheaper non-fresh fish is insulting.

Edit: Tried (unsuccessfully) to adjust alignment of table headings to columns.

RobC
Pro

mmm

Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river ..

Just add a bit of bleached chicken, and some hormone and anti-biotic loaded American steaks and your barbie is ready to go

but you can claim that £350m a week will go to the NHS instead of the European Union.
RobPN
All Star

@RobC wrote:

mmm

Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river ..

I don't see your point, what's that got to do with Brexit?

RobC
Pro

That, along with bleached chicken and hormone soaked beef will be what you are eating if the ERG gets its way with Hard Brexit and the rights and regulations protections bonfire.

wotsup
Aspiring Pro

Remain voters are fond of saying leavers did not have a plan, but what was the remainers plan ?  to reform the EU from within, we have been trying to do that since 1973, with little success. What would remainers say if their child was expected to fight in a European army in conflicts that were nothing to do with UK, under command of an EU commander ? How about paying tax direct to EU ( EU wide tax card ). The EU expansion ( assimilation ) process was not frozen in 2016, as the leaked letter on Polish site exposed, at least Brexit vote has made EU politburo think about the way they were heading,  and the rise of anti-EU populist parties across Europe should be another warning,  at least Macron was honest enough to say he could not allow France an in / out referendum because there is enough anti-EU feeling in the country to trigger Frexit. 

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 14

The master plan for Remain was:-

Step 1. Remain

Step 2,3,4 etc treat any minor issues one at a time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

wotsup
Aspiring Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

The master plan for Remain was:-

Step 1. Remain

Step 2,3,4 etc treat any minor issues one at a time.

What an absolutely detailed and spiffing plan.

I have  plan that is more likely to succeed, stand about one foot from brick wall, bang front of head on wall, repeat as many times as you have to in order to get EU to change its plans, you may have to stop before that happens due to serious brain injury or loss of blood or consciousness....

RobPN
All Star

@RobC wrote:

That, ... will be what you are eating

@RobC

I can't see us eating "Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river" under any circumstances.

The figures in the table I copy/pasted regarding Chinese fish were for cod, somehow I don't think cod are caught in river mouths.

RobPN
All Star

@wotsup wrote:

... at least Brexit vote has made EU politburo think about the way they were heading,  and the rise of anti-EU populist parties across Europe should be another warning,  at least Macron was honest enough to say he could not allow France an in / out referendum because there is enough anti-EU feeling in the country to trigger Frexit. 

I agree, it's their blindness that got us the referendum in the first place.  If they weren't so obstinate when DC tackled them, well everyone knows the rest ...

Edit: typo

RobC
Pro

@RobPN wrote:

@RobC

I can't see

Theres none so blind as those who will not see

Still waiting for the Brexit plan, other than 'we don't need a plan - its all going to be roses - honest'

also waiting for even worldwide deals half the size of the EU let alone twice the size

In fact, still waiting for you to come up with ANY real world benefit from Brexit at all really.

We already see the fear in the hearts of the hard right and hard left of real facts being voted on by the public.

Lets see something else.

Approx Cost to UK of Brexit vote just so far - 500 million a week 

- and thats quite an low end extimate under statement from the Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1045243/Brexit-cost-how-much-has-brexit-cost-uk-june-2018-50...

VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 14

You mean that they will actually let us have a vote?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."