cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Community Veteran

Re: BREXIT

So TM has managed to hold her cabinet together but what do we make of the agreement?

Will she manage to get it through her party and will it be accepted by the EU?

Initial reaction on radio and TV is not good and it will be interesting to see what the Sunday political shows have to say about it.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Throughout the so-called negotiations the EU has called the shots.

William Hague used the slogan, "In the EU but not ruled by the EU."  Now he seems happy that we'll be "Outside the EU but ruled by the EU."

This is what I've feared/predicted all along.

Is Jacob Rees-Mogg just biding his time, or is he really not interested?

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

I do wonder to what extent the belligerence of some Brexiteers toward the EU  has been the cause of its antipathy to the UK.

I also get a solid sense that with some it is "out at no matter what cost", because a referendum said so and "that's democracy, yer know", almost as if democracy were like the law of the Medes and Persians; a strange combination.

I believe the government's duty is to all its citizens, and, if it considers that a hard exit would be too damaging , to avoid it.

And just to be clear, we have now to get on with it, even though I wanted to remain.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Champion

The EU is making it difficult for us because they don't want to lose our massive net contribution, and if we leave and do well, a number of other richer countries will follow, and some not so rich, e.g. Poland and Hungary.

Community Veteran

Assume for a moment we decided we had made a mistake and wanted to stay in the EU.

Do you honestly believe we would be allowed to change our mind and stay on the same terms we currently have?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

That's a good point one I've honestly given little thought.

But at a guess I would say they would try to screw us more for changing our mind than just carrying on with leaving.

jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Probably not, @artmo, and with our current administration we would probably get royally shafted.

Mind you, I can't realistically being a situation.

John
Jonpe
Champion

@artmo  No, and if we should want to rejoin at some point in the future it would mean automatic adoption of the Euro, and Schengen membership.

jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Jonpe Stop giving me nightmares please.Smiley

I was against the original decision to join the then EEC, and I have never changed my mind, because I could see the intended outcome - a 'United States of Europe' ruled by a Franco-German alliance.

The individual states which make up the EU as it now is are too diverse, and I can see an eventual break-up, á la the USSR - probably not soon, but I sincerely believe it is a possibility.

John
Community Veteran

Yes we're too far down the road now to change our minds without losing a lot of face. We have no alternative but to carry on.

It will be interesting to see the official view of the negotiators for the EU when they look at the new suggestions. If this isn't to their liking I feel the only other choice is WTO rules.

John_Hull
Rising Star

As a matter of interest, which "silly rules" do you want to see the back of?

John_Hull
Rising Star

The EU isn't making it difficult. The UK government has taken 2 years to come up with a starting negotiation position. You can't blame the rest of the EU for getting frustrated at the lack of coherence.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Community Veteran

So David Davis  has resigned together with 2 of his junior ministers. This throws the whole government and the Brexit process into a crisis. It will be interesting to see what TM has to say in the House this afternoon at 3.30pm.

Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

Predictable.....