cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Re: BREXIT

Leave campaigners and voters tend to make grand sweeping statements such as getting rid of EU red tape & laws or being able to do our own trade deals.

Yet when asked what laws there is usually no specific law they can single out, although I did point out ardent Brexit MPs usually point to the Workers Time Directive by which they usual mean get rid of laws that protect workers rights.

If EU trade agreements are so bad and the UK can do better deals why is Liam Fox constantly emphasizing the agreements he is seeking are as close as possible to existing EU trade deals?

Many talk about sovereignty but it would seem our sovereign Parliament cannot reject, accept or amend these treaties only put them on a merry go round. 

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/08/heathrow-stockpiling-rubber-gloves-from-eu-for-post-...

Heathrow stockpiling rubber gloves from EU for post-Brexit searches

London airport preparing for no deal by putting aside imported security materials.

Heathrow is stockpiling rubber gloves to make sure its security guards can continue to search passengers in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

christmas
Aspiring Pro

I see no ships, no money, no port, no contract.

Having awarded a ferry contract to Seaborne Freight that has no boats and assurances from government the contract was above board, it's been announced the contract has been terminated.

Not only did Seaborne Freight have no boats Private Eye reported it had no money, then it was report they had no port at Ramsgate due to proposed budget cuts.

Having been banned from Calais, Transport Minister Chris Grayling has pulled the plug on Seaborne's £13.8m Contract.

wotsup
Champion

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-no-deal-medicine-shortage-stockpile-nhs-health-neth...

Stockpiling works both ways,  there are a lot of medicines manufactured in UK ( in fact a lot of other things as well ) that EU will need.........

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The BBC reported that the reason for the scrapping of the ferry contract was that the Irish backer had pulled out.  An Irish backer stop rather than an Irish backstop. :smiley:

Fixes: 346

The media are talking about the huge amount of legislation that needs to go through Parliament.

Do what other organisations do when under pressure from orders....put Parliament on a 3 shift system, 3 x 8 hours for 6 day weeks until it's done.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote:

The BBC reported that the reason for the scrapping of the ferry contract was that the Irish backer had pulled out.  An Irish backer stop rather than an Irish backstop. :smiley:

It may be me, but I find irony that an Irish firm was supporting the country, which by its actions would cause its own nation considerable discomfort. That's until I thought, "dosh is dosh". My other angle is, had they been leaned on.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Luzern wrote:

That's until I thought, "dosh is dosh". My other angle is, had they been leaned on.

Its possibly more that the main company realised there is no point having a contract to deliver if there was no agreement for them to have legal access to one or more of the ports

Pretty sure the contact would have financial penalties for the company if they didn't deliver whether it was Graylings failures to ensure there was a legal mechanism making it impossible for them to deliver or not.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
VileReynard
Champion

Or possibly...

The contract was cancelled a day after Grayling contacted Thanet district council to ask it to postpone a budget that would have shut down parts of the port of Ramsgate for use by freight shipping.

Keeping the site open is costing local taxpayers £7,224 a day, according to a local source, and the council – which has already spent months in fruitless negotiations with Seaborne – had proposed shutting it down to help balance the books.

wotsup
Champion

If it had not been for europhiles ( many of them prominent but failed establishment figures who are old enough to know better ) continually pulling the rug from under the feet of our negotiators and calling for peoples votes etc. we would have been able to negotiate a deal much earlier. Their antics gave the EU the impression that if they kept coming up with bad deals the UK would give up and decide to stay,  This meant they did not take our leaving seriously.  I hope now they realise we will not roll over and have our belly tickled that they need to get their thinking caps on to avoid a no-deal that will tip Eurozone into recession, sure it might unsettle UK for a few years but it won't do EU any good either, we were looking for an amicable divorce where we could stay friends but they decided to play hardball and try to get the house, the bank account, the car and custody of the kids as well as continuing maintenance payments and a court order to stop us having a relationship with anyone else..

I see the EU have passed special rules to allow Eurozone access to London financial services,  if they lost access to those the Euro would fail within months,  the Eurozone banking system is totally disfunctional and most experts cannot understand how it continues to stagger along - but the truth is without London expertise they are [-Censored-].

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Channel 4 News have been in touch with Arklow Shipping

“It was purely a commercial opportunity. We looked at it. We tried to make it work. It didn’t. That’s it.

“We had nothing (in Seaborne). We hadn’t even finalised anything. The problem was politicians were pushing it all ahead of normal pace....absolutely nothing had been signed....it was being forced through by the UK government.”

“There was absolutely no pressure applied by the Irish government (to pull out of deal). I read about Jacob Rees-Mogg’s tweet this morning. But no. We’ve had no contact with anyone in the Irish government over this.”

RobC
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

If it had not been for europhiles ( many of them prominent but failed establishment figures who are old enough to know better ) continually pulling the rug from under the feet of our negotiators and calling for peoples votes etc. we would have been able to negotiate a deal much earlier. Their antics gave the EU the impression that if they kept coming up with bad deals the UK would give up and decide to stay,

I see the EU have passed special rules to allow Eurozone access to London financial services,  if they lost access to those the Euro would fail within months,

Seems to be the strange view most of the right wing make

'the EU are clueless and split, we can trick them'

Well, just to inform you a little, these people have not only been our closest trading partners for decades, they, along with us, wrote the rules.

Thinking that we can simply con them into something and they will fall for it ..

... is just about as stupid as

Planning to use your motorways as lorry parks to address ... anything

or more relevant: threatening to jump of a cliff if somebody else refuses to throw themselves off first so we can jump and have a softer landing ...

Their ONLY answer can be - Lead on McDUFF

The Euro will fail without the pound?

... ROFL - the financial markets beg to differ, in fact - quite the opposite seems to be their view.

On a more rational note than wotsups' waffles:

Seems Mays deal might get support it needs if May promises to put the options of Leave, Mays deal or Remain back to the British public - as they should.

Anyone with a single democratic thought in their head should welcome that.

Might not resolve anything - but all other options have already proven they can't resolve anything.

wotsup
Champion

@RobC

I never said Euro needed the £, but vast majority of Euro clearing is done by city of London, the EU financial system ( LOL ) is lost without London, and despite their best efforts they have not attracted any of the London people to move to the failing EU - come to think of it I have never heard of anyone voluntarily going on board a sinking ship, not even rats...

The remain crybabies emboldened the EU with their antics, they had no reason to offer a worthwhile deal while they had such quislings with the opposing camp demanding a rerun of the referendum, when they see no such vote is coming and we won't accept the ball and chain of Irish border red herring they will have to get their thinking gear working to offer something worthwhile.

VileReynard
Champion

@wotsup What do you mean by Euro clearing?

I've ignored the rest of your rant.

RobC
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

@RobC

I never said Euro needed the £, but vast majority of Euro clearing is done by city of London, the EU financial system

Yes, as an EU member, just like medicines contracts WERE

That will only be allowed temporarily in the event of any Brexit which does not address the required issues,

mainly to allow for the markets

.. else just like medicines contracts already gone (as they are important)

+ as @VileReynard has asked - You should also clarify what you mean by 'Euro clearing' rather than just the meaningless mail headline you spouted.

The EU doesn't really care if UK money marketers are prepared or not, just that the EU are.

and the EU are largely already ready

Not a meaningless mail headline - but not too difficult:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-clearing/eu-steps-up-preparations-for-euro-clearing-in-...