cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BREXIT

But not from New Zealand. Apparently they couldn’t find any spies to expel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/27/new-zealand-expel-russian-spies-cant-find-any

By by the way, @artmo, what on earth has this got to do with Brexit?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

@artmo wrote:

More Russians have been expelled from countries all round the world in support for our stance on the poisoning of 2 Russian citizens. This afternoon NATO has expelled 7 Russian diplomats.

And the relevance to brexit is...

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

You're right but I was just following on from the last paragraph in post #90.Tongue

Community Veteran

In one year tomorrow we will officially be able to negotiate our own deals with countries around the world.

It will be interesting to see what preparatory work we have done already and which will be the first deal to be announced.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And reports today that we are likely to lose access to the EHIC scheme. Still, I suppose having to pay more for travel insurance when going to Europe will be worth it to get back blue passports that we could have had anyway...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@artmo

Yesterday Europe, t'morrow the world.

Sounds good to me Thumbs Up

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

That's a new one on me, do you have a link?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, agree entirely. Am looking forward to seeing how the government plans to make up for leaving the EU with trade deals with others. Hopefully the commonwealth will rush to help - although given our past colonial relationships that may not be quite so straightforward. India will undoubtedly want free movement to the U.K. for its population of just over 1.3 billion, so that may put them out of the frame.

Still, there’s always Kiribati, Rwanda and Vanuatu, so all is not lost.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

It came up on the Grauniad’s Politics Live blog today, but is now buried near the bottom somewhere. An easier link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/millions-brits-warned-could-lose-12264980

or http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/lords_call_for_clarity_on_eu_healthcare_deal_1229594

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Thanks, just had a look and it reads like more scare tactics.

I still have my card and would never travel overseas without checking, and why do we Brits always assume others have responsibility for us?

Seventy years of welfare state indoctrination I guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scare tactics? The EHIC scheme is between EEA countries - unless we stay in the EEA (which would be my preference given where we are now), why on earth would we stay in EHIC?

As for assuming others have responsibility for us, I’m unsure what that has to do with EHIC - it is a reciprocal scheme so I guess we are as responsible as any of the other countries...

By the way - it might be worth checking your EHIC card as I believe they expire after 5 years.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Thanks, just had a look and it reads like more scare tactics.

Certainly no hard facts in the links. I do carry a EHIC when I'm in Europe but always backed up with private cover.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I see no reason why we shouldn't continue the reciprocal health care agreements we had with other countries before we joined the EU, these were with countries in the EU and outside, e.g. New Zealand.

The EHIC is also valid in Switzerland which is not in the EEA.  Spain was reprimanded a few years ago for not recognising the EHIC card despite being obliged to do so by EU law.

Community Veteran

It's crunch day for Brexit today with the Prime Minister gathering all the cabinet together for talks at Chequers.

The cabinet seems divided and it seems doubtful if TM can get her cabinet fully behind her. There are talks of ministerial resignations. If there are resignations what will this mean to TM's future?

It's going to be an interesting day.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I suspect there are Tory MPs waiting in the wings to fill any cabinet post that might become vacant.

Any politics students/graduates out there know whether there is any research on the effect on weather (hot/cold/windy etc.) on political decision making?