Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Fixes: 238

Re: BREXIT

Moderator's note:

Several more posts have been removed.

If this sniping continues this thread will be locked!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav

But still not removed the post which is not in English, I see. Does the rule about posting in English not apply to any of us, or just your favourite member(s)?

Moderator's note:

While English is the official language of the forums some modicum of common sense has to be applied:

Only part of the post was not in English and a quick Google search would easily show what the expression meant.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav wrote:

Moderator's note:

While English is the official language of the forums some modicum of common sense has to be applied:

And do you feel the same applies to racist terminology? A quick Google search of a thread title from last week would easily show what the expression was offensive and with racist undertones. Nothing was done about that.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Meanwhile back on topic....

How many of us I wonder remember that when we first joined the EU it was formally known as the European Assembly which of course gave an accurate impression of what it's role was. Future years saw it become what many were afraid of, a self serving Franco-German alliance and a dwindle into bureaucracy and blimey, how times changed - a properly challenged EU under Thatcher to a half-hearted 'egg on his face' support under Cameron.

How quickly we forget.

Interventionist, protectionist, and ultimately federalist? No thanks, and not on our watch.  

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.

Moderator's note:

Several more posts have been removed.

Thread locked for now. Re-opened after further discussion but any further sniping and it will be locked permanently.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just goes to show as if we did not already know, just how contentious this issue has become and one it seems to have divided the young from the old and in some ways, the political left from the political right.

There can be no guarantees that either are correct, or that having been voted upon Brexit is going to make things better or a whole lot worse. But what is indisputable is that this nation of ours as far as it is now possible will not be dictated to by Brussels or their Franco-German puppets masters and for that alone we can all heave a sigh of relief surely. 

Have the older generation who seem to have swung the vote got it wrong? Well as somebody much wiser than this old codger once said, "when youth departs may wisdom prove enough".

I happen to think it will be.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

The furthest back I can remember it was called the EEC (European Economic Community), and that was what we were taken into by the Heath government in 1973.  The 'working title' "Common Market", peddled by our politicians, was never its official name.  Its forerunner was of course the the European Coal and Steel Community, established - as the name suggests - to facilitate free trade in those two commodities among a group of Continental nations.

Community Veteran

A transition deal has been announced between the UK and EU.

Deal Announced

Business has given a cautious welcome and the pound has climbed to $1.40.

There is still a lot of do but it seems good progress has been made.

Jonpe
Champion

And inflation is down, mainly due to lower fuel and food prices, according to the BBC.  This is thought to make the predicted rise in interest rates in May less likely.

Community Veteran

An interesting interview on the radio today with an Australian trade envoy. He said they can't wait to sign a deal with us and anticipated other countries are of the same view.

He also said Australia had signed a trade deal with the US. He said the deal was beneficial to both sides and it took 15 months to negotiate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonpe wrote:

And inflation is down, mainly due to lower fuel and food prices, according to the BBC.  

If that is what they said, the BBC need to do their homework. Food and fuel prices were NOT LOWER.

From the ONS website: “The largest downward contributions to the change in the rate came from transport and food prices, which rose by less than a year ago.”

(My bold, source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/february201...)

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well the EU bureaucrats were never going make it easy were they, but an example of what they are good at only serves to strengthen in my view why we needed to untangle ourselves from their web of control and influence which was not always going to be in the best interests of the UK

Marx was right, a spectre is haunting Europe -  only this time it is federalism.

Jonpe
Champion

@Anonymous  Yes, that amounts to the same thing.  The published figure is the annual rate so the rate up to and including February this year is not affected by what happened up to the end of February last year.

Community Veteran

Theresa May had a good week last week in the progress towards Brexit. It seems that we are moving forward to resolving the issues between the UK and EU.

The PM also got a united response to her call for support over the Salisbury affair. Many EU countries are following our lead and telling Russia to remove diplomats from their countries. The US is also expelling 60 diplomats.