Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: BREXIT

And it dont help with Sadiq Khan saying If DUP get special treatment London wants special rules Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JPN
Rising Star

I thought the point of the DUP intervention was that they very expressly don't want special treatment. They want Northern Ireland to be in exactly the same regulatory environment as the rest of the UK.  Seems reasonable.

Community Veteran

But if NI is treated in the same way as the rest of the UK it will present border troubles with the south which nobody will accept.
JPN
Rising Star

That will depend on what you mean by 'border troubles'.  the DUP representative on lunchtime radio today was clear that if a 'hard border' was the only other option, then that was fine with him.   The EU has a number of 'hard borders', and one more isn't going to make a lot of difference.  What is more important is the integrity of the UK.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

To top it off, Ruth Davidson has basically said "what they get we want". I've always thought that the Irish border would be the biggest sticking point - too many stubborn heads to influence. I personally think it's sunk. Anyone taking bets on an election? Or better still, anyone fancy Mr. Rees-Mogg as a replacement?

"Everyone will now have to think very hard now about what they want the aftermath of this to be. The DUP must ask itself whether it is prepared to bring down the May government, an administration in which it has very considerable leverage. The Irish government needs to consider whether it is prepared to scupper a shift to phase two of the Brexit negotiation and talks on trade, a development that brings major risks to the Irish economy.As for Mrs May, she has no negotiating room at all. She is the prisoner of her own flawed Brexit strategy and has been taken completely by surprise. If the stand-off between the DUP and Dublin continues, her only hope of salvation would be to keep the UK in the customs union. But that would surely split her cabinet asunder". 

JPN
Rising Star

I'd be very tempted to vote for someone who uses words such as 'asunder'!

Community Veteran

@JPN

Ian Paisley used to use it all the time! Shocked

JPN
Rising Star

Ha!  Well spotted.  I'd obviously have to take other factors into consideration Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@rongtw wrote:

And it dont help with Sadiq Khan saying If DUP get special treatment London wants special rules Crazy2

Special treatment for London ? I suspect they get that already when compared to many other parts of the UK, my comment is based on reports that the social divide is getting even bigger.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@artmo wrote:

I don't think this is going to be an easy situation for TM to resolve.

Trouble is that she's the opposite of Strong and Stable, she's Weak and Feeble.

Just after she came to power she abandoned her plans to make this a fairer country and decided her government would be a brexit only government. In other words she's incapable of handling more than one real issue at a time. When that one issue comes up she has to go away on holiday to think about things and meanwhile she has a cabinet that see her weakness and are all out to take her down for their own agendas.

She let the EU have us over a barrel the moment she made that brexit only government statement. The moment she did that she gave away how important the EU deal was and that meant they got us over a barrel.

Now the DUP have done the dirty..

What TM needs to do now is lower the brexit divorce offer. Down from £50bn to £45. Then for every month that passes she needs to lower it another £5bn. Thats the only way she can get them to sit up and take note. She should also consider asking the DUP for a rebate too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

When travelling from a non-EU country into the EU, you are met with the sign "EU border".  When we are no longer in the EU that must apply to the border in Ireland.  If anyone in the Irish republic can travel freely into Northern Ireland, they can also do so from there to Great Britain.  So much for taking control of our borders!  There has to be a 'hard' border somewhere, either in Ireland or between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.  The latter is what the DUP won't countenance. 

Would the DUP object to NI being treated differently if that meant more favourably?  We could for example give the province a special status (a bit like the Channel Islands) abolishing VAT there for example.  The loss to the economy of the Irish republic would be such that Dublin would build a Trumpian wall between the two parts of the island in order to stop their citizens buying everything of any value in the now much cheaper NI.

Community Veteran

The Good Friday Agreement created an open border whereby NI and ROI residents pass freely between the two areas.

As for creating a VAT free area in NI it can't happen. All parts of the UK must be treated the same. What would the fish woman say if she didn't get the same deal for Scotland?

JPN
Rising Star

Once we are out of the EU, there is no reason why we can't abolish VAT across the whole UK.  Granted we'd have to replace it with something along the lines of a sales tax, but I can imagine very few business people would not breathe a sigh of relief to see the back of a complex and work-creating tax.   Even if we don't abolish it, there's no reason that we can't set rates advantageous to ourselves rather than have to 'harmonise' (i.e. be told what rates to set by Brussels). 

Luzern
All Star

V.A.T is not something peculiar to the EU. It is a method of taxation used widely in all continents.

@JPN That being so, what good reason is there for its abolition other than pure insane EUphobia?Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
JPN
Rising Star

Any tax has both advantages and disadvantages. With VAT a key objection is that it is regressive. Poorer people spend a higher proportion of their income on tax than those better off.  The point I was making above is that as part of the EU we have little choice in how we manage our sales taxes. Outside we have much more opportunity to adapt them to our economic advantage as a country or maybe even give the poor a fairer crack of the whip. I don't see that as insanity.