Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Re: BREXIT

Surely DD knew enough to have made his decision at the meeting! I'm thinking on how much of his action is out of tory anti-May politicking mischief making rather than principle.

Will we hear from Boris, who to me seems entirely Boriscentric? His reason for existence seems a tad or so Vicar-of-Bray.

Now who TN will choose to succeed DD and this acolytes will be interesting.!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

I was against the original decision to join the then EEC, and I have never changed my mind, because I could see the intended outcome - a 'United States of Europe' ruled by a Franco-German alliance.

Ah yes, the bit that Ted Heath didn't tell us about in '73 when we joined, and Harold Wilson neglected to mention when we voted to remain in '75. Between then and 2016, as the EEC evolved into the EU, we were given no chance to say no to further integration, so it was little surprise that 'Leave' won two years ago.

Since then it's become apparent that it's extremely difficult to disentangle ourselves from the EU, which would suggest that if we don't leave now, it will be impossible in years to come.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@198kHz Exactly. Both those gentlemen were thinking of themselves - and not the country - when they 'gave us the options to decide'

We will leave, and despite the wailing from the remainers, I believe things will not be as catastrophic as they claim.

We traded with countries outside the EU before, do now, and will do so after. Yes, there will be changes, but they go on all the time - USA and the Trump-inspired actions of current times being just one example.

John
Luzern
All Star

It's Dominic Raab

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

Who's he ?

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Yes, I had to look him up, too.  I remember seeing him on TV a few times, so not a total unknown.  His wife is Brazilian so our coffee imports should be secure.  Grin

Do we know whether he was/is a remainer or a leaver?

John_Hull
Rising Star

Apparently he campaigned to leave; whether he also  wanted to stay in the CU and SM, (along with many of his Leave  colleagues) I have no idea.

By the way, I'm still waiting for an example of a "silly rule" that we can get rid of, once we leave.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

How about the one which allows failed asylum seekers with a string of criminal convictions, who also run over young girls and kill them whilst driving without a licence etc. to be allowed to remain in the UK?

Luzern
All Star

You could've looked up wikipedia. Wink

Community Veteran

Boris Johnson has resigned.

Boris Johnson

Community Veteran

@RobPN

I think it's important to understand fully exactly what happened in this case. I am in no way defending the individual concerned, but he was not allowed to stay in this country just because the ECHR says he must be allowed to do so. That was an invention by the bile-ridden Daily Mail.

Article 8 of the ECHR actually does grant permission for judiciary of the country who is holding the asylum-seeker to expel anyone they wish, but before doing so they should (not compulsory note!) take into account the effect of doing so on the family of the person concerned. The decision is entirely that of the judiciary of the country concerned. In this case, the UK rejected the appeal of the UK Border Agency that he should be expelled, because he has children, who were considered innocent of the father's crime, and taking away their father would have further compounded the problem. It was the UK judiciary who made this decision, not based on some compulsory rule contained within the ECHR. Since then, the UK has tightened up the guidelines to UK judiciary to avoid this happening again. Apparently nobody considered why the whole family could not be expelled.

Paul Dacre Esq., Daily mail editor at the time, used the event to stir things up a bit, but in doing so exposed some deficiencies in the UKs procedures.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

So, what's next ?

New Conservative Leader

New PM..

General Election.....

New PM.. ?

Gove.jpgJacob.jpgDavis & Johnson.jpg

John_Hull
Rising Star

As well as the previous answer, it's worth noting that the European Court of Human Rights predates the EU, and that the UK was one of its originators. Also it is not not part of the EU.

So to use a baseball metaphor - strike one. Did you want another go? "Silly rules"? anyone?

Community Veteran

I have to say that TM put up a very robust performance in Parliament this afternoon. She is meeting Conservative MPs tonight.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

@artmo wrote:  She is meeting Conservative MPs tonight.

Last supper, or one of the last?  Look out for the one kissing her on the cheek.

The European Convention on Human Rights was introduced in order to prevent a repeat of the atrocities carried out by the German Nazi regime.  For example the right to a family life to stop the forced sterilisation of people a government just doesn't like.  The convention has since been interpreted in ways that give anyone, however harmful to our society, the right to live here on some pretext or other.