cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: BREXIT

@Minivanman David Davis Brexit secretary caved in. So much for his row of the summer, what a laughing stock we have become.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Early days Steve, early days.

Hare-and-Tortoise-lo.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Talk is that there is a legal challenge round the corner on the validity of any Tory/DUP deal that emerges, if one actually does, in that it infringes the Good Friday Agreement. Add to that that there are rumours that TM has already done some damage by saying that "Britain will never be neutral over Northern Ireland", which also infringes the GF Agreement. I don't think she could have read it. The problem with saying things like this is that it gives "sound reason" for those who wish to create problems to do so.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/britain-will-never-be-neutral-on-northern-ireland-says-there...

So, who will be the next PM I wonder? Quite a few spaces to be watched. 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

If May ignores Ireland like she is doing to our section 30 in Scotland the union will be no more very rapidly.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Don't worry, they'll still have the Welsh to kick around :wink:

Community Veteran

Agreement from senior cabinet ministers on 'transition'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/12/britain-will-not-stay-eu-back-door-philip-hammond-liam-fo...

Talks have been underway throughout the recess but move up a gear in the next few weeks when the chief negotiators meet again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A government so dysfunctional that it is headline news when two members of the cabinet agree on something...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

What a tangled web the UK has become.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Not sure about that. Now May is back from holiday she has to take control of her cabinet and it is stated she will make it very clear where we stand on transition.

The summer is silly season - just look at Labour over the last few months. Next month is conference season where some normality returns to politics.

Community Veteran

@artmo wrote:

Next month is conference season where some normality beer returns to politics.

I'm not knocking it. I've had some of my best ideas when seven sheets to the wind.

Community Veteran

It looked as if our negotiations were going well today with possible agreement between UK and EU and the Irish also falling in line. Then the DUP threw a spanner in the works and refused to accept the proposals thus halting the deal. I don't think this is going to be an easy situation for TM to resolve.

I feel there is to be a lot of burning of the midnight oil in the coming days.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@artmo wrote:

I don't think this is going to be an easy situation for TM to resolve.

Trouble is that she's the opposite of Strong and Stable, she's Weak and Feeble.

Just after she came to power she abandoned her plans to make this a fairer country and decided her government would be a brexit only government. In other words she's incapable of handling more than one real issue at a time. When that one issue comes up she has to go away on holiday to think about things and meanwhile she has a cabinet that see her weakness and are all out to take her down for their own agendas.

She let the EU have us over a barrel the moment she made that brexit only government statement. The moment she did that she gave away how important the EU deal was and that meant they got us over a barrel.

Now the DUP have done the dirty..

What TM needs to do now is lower the brexit divorce offer. Down from £50bn to £45. Then for every month that passes she needs to lower it another £5bn. Thats the only way she can get them to sit up and take note. She should also consider asking the DUP for a rebate too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

When travelling from a non-EU country into the EU, you are met with the sign "EU border".  When we are no longer in the EU that must apply to the border in Ireland.  If anyone in the Irish republic can travel freely into Northern Ireland, they can also do so from there to Great Britain.  So much for taking control of our borders!  There has to be a 'hard' border somewhere, either in Ireland or between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.  The latter is what the DUP won't countenance. 

Would the DUP object to NI being treated differently if that meant more favourably?  We could for example give the province a special status (a bit like the Channel Islands) abolishing VAT there for example.  The loss to the economy of the Irish republic would be such that Dublin would build a Trumpian wall between the two parts of the island in order to stop their citizens buying everything of any value in the now much cheaper NI.

Community Veteran

The Good Friday Agreement created an open border whereby NI and ROI residents pass freely between the two areas.

As for creating a VAT free area in NI it can't happen. All parts of the UK must be treated the same. What would the fish woman say if she didn't get the same deal for Scotland?

JPN
Rising Star

Once we are out of the EU, there is no reason why we can't abolish VAT across the whole UK.  Granted we'd have to replace it with something along the lines of a sales tax, but I can imagine very few business people would not breathe a sigh of relief to see the back of a complex and work-creating tax.   Even if we don't abolish it, there's no reason that we can't set rates advantageous to ourselves rather than have to 'harmonise' (i.e. be told what rates to set by Brussels).