cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT


@Jonpe wrote:

@christmas's post 1358.

My staff pass at work expires when I'm 115 so perhaps my employer knows something I don't.


Perhaps that you aren't eating enough fresh fish ...

.. Possibly because you don't seem to know the difference despite @christmas trying to inform you?

 

Angel

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,928
Thanks: 1,148
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: BREXIT


@christmas wrote

 


You fell into a trap, the 90% of fish that ends up in our fish & chips is the same species as the premium fish that I mentioned being sold to our EU cousins. The difference is the method used to catch, process and store the fish, Brits prefer cheap and not so fresh fish. 


@christmas

ISTM you have your lines crossed particularly regarding the fish supplied to UK fish & chip shops, which is mainly cod.

In general, the UK does not 'export' cod, although there have been occasions where cod was landed at other EU ports due to price differential between what the UK market was paying and what another EU country would bear,  The amount of cod caught by UK boats is nowhere near enough to satisfy UK demand so it's obvious that the deficit will need to be imported, very little of which is from other EU countries.

 


The largest exporters of cod to the UK are Iceland, Denmark China, Germany and Russia. In 2015, the most common import format was frozen fillets (63%) followed by frozen whole (13%).

 

Five Exporters of Cod to the UK 2015

2015 IMPORTS

% CHANGE vs 14

AVERAGE £/KG

VALUE

£000’S

VOLUME TONNES

VALUE

VOLUME

£/KG

% CHANGE

Cod Total Imports

£439,891

115,321

7.3%

-0.9%

£3.81

8.3%

Iceland

£159,582

31,079

1.4%

-2.9%

£5.13

4.4%

China

£70,990

22,738

6.7%

-8.0%

£3.12

15.9%

Russia

£43,359

12,826

38.3%

26.7%

£3.38

9.2%

Norway

£38,717

13,088

-7.0%

-16.3%

£2.96

11.1%

Germany

£34,369

8,013

23.6%

17.8%

£4.29

4.9%


 

It stands to reason that to meet UK demand, cod needs to be supplied from non-local fishing grounds, which in turn obviously necessitates freezing to keep it in prime condition.  Frozen fish is often fresher than so-called fresh fish, and to suggest that Brits prefer cheaper non-fresh fish is insulting.

 

Edit: Tried (unsuccessfully) to adjust alignment of table headings to columns.

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT

mmm

Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river ..

Just add a bit of bleached chicken, and some hormone and anti-biotic loaded American steaks and your barbie is ready to go

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,928
Thanks: 1,148
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: BREXIT


@RobC wrote:

mmm

Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river ..

 


I don't see your point, what's that got to do with Brexit?

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT

That, along with bleached chicken and hormone soaked beef will be what you are eating if the ERG gets its way with Hard Brexit and the rights and regulations protections bonfire.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,597
Thanks: 1,330
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: BREXIT

Remain voters are fond of saying leavers did not have a plan, but what was the remainers plan ?  to reform the EU from within, we have been trying to do that since 1973, with little success. What would remainers say if their child was expected to fight in a European army in conflicts that were nothing to do with UK, under command of an EU commander ? How about paying tax direct to EU ( EU wide tax card ). The EU expansion ( assimilation ) process was not frozen in 2016, as the leaked letter on Polish site exposed, at least Brexit vote has made EU politburo think about the way they were heading,  and the rise of anti-EU populist parties across Europe should be another warning,  at least Macron was honest enough to say he could not allow France an in / out referendum because there is enough anti-EU feeling in the country to trigger Frexit. 

Seasoned Champion
Posts: 12,208
Thanks: 562
Fixes: 18
Registered: ‎01-09-2007

Re: BREXIT

The master plan for Remain was:-

Step 1. Remain

Step 2,3,4 etc treat any minor issues one at a time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,597
Thanks: 1,330
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: BREXIT


@VileReynard wrote:

The master plan for Remain was:-

Step 1. Remain

Step 2,3,4 etc treat any minor issues one at a time.


What an absolutely detailed and spiffing plan.

I have  plan that is more likely to succeed, stand about one foot from brick wall, bang front of head on wall, repeat as many times as you have to in order to get EU to change its plans, you may have to stop before that happens due to serious brain injury or loss of blood or consciousness....

 

 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,928
Thanks: 1,148
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: BREXIT


@RobC wrote:

That, ... will be what you are eating


@RobC

I can't see us eating "Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river" under any circumstances.

The figures in the table I copy/pasted regarding Chinese fish were for cod, somehow I don't think cod are caught in river mouths.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,928
Thanks: 1,148
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: BREXIT


@wotsup wrote:

... at least Brexit vote has made EU politburo think about the way they were heading,  and the rise of anti-EU populist parties across Europe should be another warning,  at least Macron was honest enough to say he could not allow France an in / out referendum because there is enough anti-EU feeling in the country to trigger Frexit. 


I agree, it's their blindness that got us the referendum in the first place.  If they weren't so obstinate when DC tackled them, well everyone knows the rest ...

 

Edit: typo

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT


@RobPN wrote:


@RobC

I can't see

Theres none so blind as those who will not see

 

Still waiting for the Brexit plan, other than 'we don't need a plan - its all going to be roses - honest'

also waiting for even worldwide deals half the size of the EU let alone twice the size

In fact, still waiting for you to come up with ANY real world benefit from Brexit at all really.

 

We already see the fear in the hearts of the hard right and hard left of real facts being voted on by the public.

Lets see something else.

 

 

 

 Approx Cost to UK of Brexit vote just so far - 500 million a week 

- and thats quite an low end extimate under statement from the Express

 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1045243/Brexit-cost-how-much-has-brexit-cost-uk-june-2018-50...

 

 

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 12,208
Thanks: 562
Fixes: 18
Registered: ‎01-09-2007

Re: BREXIT

You mean that they will actually let us have a vote?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT

LOL

They wont (the hard Brexiters) but the majority (the rest) might

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 26,786
Thanks: 987
Fixes: 10
Registered: ‎10-04-2007

Re: BREXIT


@wotsup wrote:

Remain voters are fond of saying leavers did not have a plan, but what was the remainers plan ?  to reform the EU from within, we have been trying to do that since 1973, with little success.


Cameron gave up on the negotiations before the referendum (a) because he thought the result would be remain and (b) because he was useless.

What he should have done is set out how he wanted the EU to change (including a demand for an agreed statement that we would not move any further towards the United States of Europe) and held the referendum on the basis of if we can't get most of these changes to halt some of the fanciful ideas some of the EU leaders have would you want to leave?

I suspect the result of that would have been more than 52-48 and would have given him the power to demand the changes with the threat confirmed by the referendum that if you won't give us what we want we will leave. I suspect the Netherlands and others would have been sympathetic.

If that succeeded it would have been good for the UK and good for the EU.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 157
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

Re: BREXIT


@RobPN wrote:


@RobC

I can't see us eating "Yummy chinese fish caught floating at the mouth of the yellow river" under any circumstances.

 

Ah - but it will of course be labeled as Fresh Caught Cod, because someone will throw a cods head and a few Cod giblets in the hold with whatever is in there.

... Why do you think its called the 'Great Repeal' bill if it isnt to repeal those pesky rights and regulations.

 

Did you think they are going to repeal the bankers bonuses for the financial collapse?

- Don't be silly, Camerons EU renegotiation squashed any thoughts of that.

 

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots