cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: BREXIT

I fear you are right. The "just get on with it" brigade think that come the end of March life will just get back to normal and they won't keep hearing people banging on about it.

That couldn't be any further from the truth. The next few years will be spent desperately trying to do trade deals with countries and trading blocks all round the world who will all be intent on screwing us over as we will be in an incredibly weak position. Meantime the government will be neglecting domestic issues just the same as they have for the last couple of years while they try to sort out the mess.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 6

@jelv With all the posts to your name, was it really necessary to up the number like that?:shocked::2funny:

Love the way politicians can be so inconstant though!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 2

But it wasnt all lies .... ?was it?

hell and taxes 2jpeg.jpeg

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
RobC
Pro

@nozzer wrote:

@RobC

Errmmm... as far as I'm aware unilateral revocation means just that. In other words no other approvals necessary. From what I've read this is correct. All the ECJ ruling seems to be saying is that as long as it's done constitutionally before the declared date, or any extension subsequently agreed, it is legal and binding.

Yes, We can unilaterally withdraw our withdrawal, after the ECJ ruling, the EU agreed.

I probably put too many words in.

The extension is less certain as it may depend depend on what terms are agreed by the EU27 to grant the extension., but is likely to be the same.

There is no unilateral right to an extension - so thats a negotiation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Luzern wrote:

@jelv With all the posts to your name, was it really necessary to up the number like that?:shocked::2funny:

I was in two minds whether to put them all in one post or not. I decided individually would give people the chance to like or comment on particular ones.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@christmas wrote:

@RobPN wrote: 

And how many voted to remain in the Common Market in 1975 not knowing what it meant?  Clearly since then, the UK as a whole woke up and changed its mind about what the Common Market had morphed into.

Yipes, you are still harbouring grudges from the 1970's -1980's, get over it.

@christmas

That's your incorrect assumption.

As it happens, at the time of the 1975 vote I'd recently moved to a new address.  When I turned up at the polling station to vote 'YES' to remaining in the Common Market, it turned out that my name had not made it onto the local electoral roll in time so I was unable to vote.  Having thought it was a good idea at the time but now having different thoughts due to the aforementioned morphing of the Common Market, I'm now pleased to be able to say I didn't vote remain in 1975.

You seem to think everyone voted leave for the same reason as yourself, that their interpretation of Brexit is the same as yours, but the evidence is to the contrary. 

Another incorrect assumption.  I voted 'Leave' for several reasons and I'm perfectly aware that others will have had their own reasons, but there's no getting away from the fact that many of these combinations of reasons will overlap.

RobC
Pro

@RobPN wrote:

Another incorrect assumption.  I voted 'Leave' for several reasons and I'm perfectly aware that others will have had their own reasons, but there's no getting away from the fact that many of these combinations of reasons will overlap.

Yes, perhaps the biggest overlap - that many Leave votes were based on believing the lies spouted by the Brexiters

Link: Just look at the pretty pictures....

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@RobC wrote: 

... that many Leave votes were based on believing the lies spouted by the Brexiters

IMO many more, probably the majority of Leave votes were based on the fundamental reasons for wishing to leave, not the persuasive efforts you Remoainers like to refer to.

Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

This topic is going to run and run, completely blowing the Ducks thread right out of the water.

Proud to be the OP of them both:wink::wink:

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

But at least there will be a Brexit dividend because we were promised oodles of cash.

I just can't think how to spend mine. :grin:

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re. posts 1313, 1314, and 1316.

@nozzer and @RobC, some two pages of posts have been added while I've been at work, but my point was that Article 50, being part of a treaty, cannot be revoked by us.  Our notification under Article 50 is ours to do with as we like (" - to revoke that notification unilaterally").

Fixes: 368

@jelv wrote:

I fear you are right. The "just get on with it" brigade think that come the end of March life will just get back to normal and they won't keep hearing people banging on about it..

Well, I'll still be getting up in the mornings, eating, drinking, going to the loo, spending time with my granddaughter, worrying about my own debts, health, blah, blah. Pretty much normal goings on for everybody I know.

And if the sky does fall then I won't be running deep into the forest with Chicken Licken, Henny Penny, Cocky Locky, Ducky Lucky, Draky Lakey, Goosey Loosey , Turkey Lurky or Foxy Loxy, I'll just plant my little acorn and let it grow:cheesy:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
christmas
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup wrote:

I suppose everyone who voted remain all voted for exactly the same reason as well .....

You can suppose all you like but you can't get away from the fact when voting leave there was no plan for leaving the EU, apart from David Cameron threatening to trigger Article 50 on 24 Jun.  

A vote to leave was like buying a pig in a poke, a step into the unknown or as the Prime Minister would say uncharted waters.

Could you get anything more like a pig in a poke than Boris Johnson?

By pure chance I came across the Boris Johnson quote of July 2017, where he said there was no plan for no deal because the UK would get a great deal, yet in Jan this year he said No Deal is what people voted for.

All that was on the ballot paper was a choice between Leave or Remain, maybe you had a different ballot paper with all the various options.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Jonpe

Sorry. I had assumed that you understood I was referring to our notification under Art50, not the actual article itself!

RobC
Pro

@RobPN wrote:

probably the majority of Leave votes were based on the fundamental reasons for wishing to leave, not the persuasive efforts you Remoainers like to refer to.

You mean fundamentals like

* 350 million a week extra for the NHS?

* Easiest deal in history, we have all the cards - all the benefits non of the costs?

* All sorted long before Exit day with international deals twice what we get from the EU?

I think you do a disservice to the British people thinking they wouldn't listen to what they were being told.

Those conned are not to blame for the lies of the con artists, especially when those lyers are in positions of supposed trust and responsibility

AND Don't just target Remainers

- Don't forget the likely millions of Regrexit/Regretsiters now they realise they were lied too and what the truth really entails.

Even Maggie Thatcher realised we were better off in.

Cameron used the words, but is no Maggie,

and Maggie - unlike Cameron and May - would have swiftly dealt with the Rees-Moggs and Boris Johnsons in her party,

- In the extremely unlikely event they would have dared raise their heads to say anything other than 'Yes Prime Minister'