cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREXIT

Steve
Pro

Re: BREXIT

@Minivanman David Davis Brexit secretary caved in. So much for his row of the summer, what a laughing stock we have become.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Early days Steve, early days.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Talk is that there is a legal challenge round the corner on the validity of any Tory/DUP deal that emerges, if one actually does, in that it infringes the Good Friday Agreement. Add to that that there are rumours that TM has already done some damage by saying that "Britain will never be neutral over Northern Ireland", which also infringes the GF Agreement. I don't think she could have read it. The problem with saying things like this is that it gives "sound reason" for those who wish to create problems to do so.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/britain-will-never-be-neutral-on-northern-ireland-says-there...

So, who will be the next PM I wonder? Quite a few spaces to be watched. 

Steve
Pro

If May ignores Ireland like she is doing to our section 30 in Scotland the union will be no more very rapidly.

Minivanman
Hero

Don't worry, they'll still have the Welsh to kick around Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Agreement from senior cabinet ministers on 'transition'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/12/britain-will-not-stay-eu-back-door-philip-hammond-liam-fo...

Talks have been underway throughout the recess but move up a gear in the next few weeks when the chief negotiators meet again.

Anonymous
N/A

A government so dysfunctional that it is headline news when two members of the cabinet agree on something...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What a tangled web the UK has become.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Not sure about that. Now May is back from holiday she has to take control of her cabinet and it is stated she will make it very clear where we stand on transition.

The summer is silly season - just look at Labour over the last few months. Next month is conference season where some normality returns to politics.

Community Veteran

artmo wrote:

Next month is conference season where some normality beer returns to politics.

I'm not knocking it. I've had some of my best ideas when seven sheets to the wind.

Community Veteran

It looked as if our negotiations were going well today with possible agreement between UK and EU and the Irish also falling in line. Then the DUP threw a spanner in the works and refused to accept the proposals thus halting the deal. I don't think this is going to be an easy situation for TM to resolve.

I feel there is to be a lot of burning of the midnight oil in the coming days.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

artmo wrote:

Then the DUP threw a spanner in the works and refused to accept the proposals thus halting the deal. I don't think this is going to be an easy situation for TM to resolve.

Bet she's regretting her choice of party for a coalition now... Funny

Community Veteran

It's time May borrowed Maggie's handbag. The one with a baseball bat and a spine in it.

My suggestion is that she say to the Irish as she is always going to put the UK first the only way to avoid the lamely called hard border is for them to join us. Not the other way around.

That should go down well.

There doesn't seem to be anything to lose. There are no negotiations only demands so why not join in.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

What worries me is the danger of a hard border emerging from all the shenagagins with the danger of back to the troubles. Would any person of sane mind want that? I think the extreme of Brexit chest beaters need answer a direct question with only YES or NO the answer.

Q. If a hard border as existed before 19.. is the result of leaving the EU, are you willing to countenance resurgence od strife in Ireland (North and South)?

Those with any love for their fellow countrymen, and hopefully our Irish cousins, before politics will answer, I think, in the negative. Jingoistic nationalists otherwise.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

It's a sorry state if the threats of one side or the other are steering these so called negotiations.

Taking threats into consideration and you will end up pleasing nobody.

So you just as well please the majority, the voter.

Otherwise we will end up paying for a broken mess of rules and regulations with absolutely no benefit or say in the EU.