cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMW woe

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BMW woe

Just got home (late) having been following (and been unable to overtake) a BMW that was in obvious trouble as it seemed unable to exceed around 5 to 10 mph with hazards flashing . I guess this is some sort of get-you-home feature because of some sort of system failure. However I and the very long queue of traffic behind it would have preferred the driver to pull up at the side of the road and wait for assistance.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: BMW woe

They (BMW) are probably trying to emulate Rolls Royce..... You will never see one of those on an "open back" breakdown truck.... they send out a "covered wagon" type for their rescue....
Strange how BMW have now got this " Posh Car " image....after starting off producing things like the three wheeler Messerschmit ( excuse spelling )...
Mind you. Skoda have gone up in the world too......
PowerLee
Rising Star

Most modern car's with electronic fly by wire throttle's, if it fails the engine ecu will let the engine tick over at just above idle speed to allow you to get it home / to a garage.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think BMW are far too overrated if you ask me. It's badge snobbery and an association that you must have one if you want the women. Likewise many women seem to think that only a bloke with a BMW will do. I dislike them personally. I think the type of people they attract are a menace on the roads. My neighbour has a beemer and says he's fed up with it as he has a fault light every week. Makes you wonder what the point is really  Crazy
I personally prefer something thats built to do a good job like a Volvo. Indestructible cars those things. For gadgets I prefer french cars but they're not the easiest to keep running.
As for fly by wire.. you can't beat the old fashioned cable throttle. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit that  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
you can't beat the old fashioned cable throttle.

Cable clutches were never so good (Morris 1000) as the sintered bearings sometimes crumbled and the linkages sort of collapsed.
Still it was easy enough to jam a piece of wood to half engage the clutch. Got me home a few times as long as I avioded steep hills.