Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIO Diesel

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: BIO Diesel

@DaveyH 

Not at all, we all kid ourselves and that is all I am saying.

If there is going to be no food in the house and no work or income,  how can that be construed as FU ?

Highlighted
Champion

@Anonymous  yep that seems to be story, but didnt read it in thatThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

You imply diesel is totally harmless, yet post some Daily Mail rant about vaping and that we are all doomed.

What are we missing?  - apart from a Degree in chemical engineering or such like. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Pro

@DaveyH wrote:

@TTman wrote:

I read somewhere of a Tesla police car in America that had to give up a chase  because the battery did not have enough power to continue:crazy3

Roll_eyes

Fake news. ICE powered vehicles are just as capable of running out of fuel if you don't fill them up... 

Yes, but unlike ICE vehicles, the leccy vehicle takes hours to "fill"

We'll all end up driving them I'm sure, but they're way off being a complete solution yet.

And I find it difficult to get past the point that perhaps we need to seriously look at driving around so much as well.

I like my car as much as anybody incidentally.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Minivanman  you have fallen into the trap  !   Ha Ha Ha....

I was not posting a "daily mail rant".....about vaping.

I used the Daily Mail LINK... for a report, that was nothing to do with the daily mail.... just reported BY them..

Oh dear... never expected you to fall for it, as deep as others have....

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Minesapint wrote:

Yes, but unlike ICE vehicles, the leccy vehicle takes hours to "fill"

Rapid chargers will give an 80% charge in about 30 - 45 mins usually, depending on battery capacity and  ratthe chargers rating obviously.

Highlighted
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@DaveyH 

Running out of fuel whether petrol or electric does not make it fake news... or does it?

When the media misrepresent the facts/use clickbait to turn it into yet another anti-EV story, when it was Police Department incompetence that was the issue, yes

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

Well I guess we'll that one on the table as they say. Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Funnily enough there is a link between biodiesel and vaping, as the by-product of making biodiesel is glycerine, which is the nice sweet goo that is used in ejuice, and medicines, and cosmetics, and personal lubricants, etc.... Grin

But as for the fuel itself, it was originally intended as a supplement to regular diesel fuel made from the waste oils thrown out by chippies, fast food joints and restaurants, recycling what was intended to be waste, but as with anything that involves burning fuels, the greedy kinds decided to greenwash their image by putting it into the regular fuel and proclaim "Look at us! We're eco-friendly now!", except they're not given they source their virgin plant oils from very dubiously brown sources... Crazy2

Gotta love money, and how it turns humans into Ferengi... Funny

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@DaveyH wrote:

Rapid chargers will give an 80% charge in about 30 - 45 mins usually, depending on battery capacity and  ratthe chargers rating obviously.

That 80% figure is important for a number of reasons, it means that a potential buyer extrapolates it to means you can fast charge to 100% in an extra 20% of 45minutes, but it does not work like that, if you want to go above 80% you can at least double the time to get to  90% and ages more to get to 100%.  Another thing is if you regularly go above 80% charge the battery gets damaged every time you do, and they did some rapid charging tests on Teslas ( Tesla themselves did the tests), using rapid charge every day the battery lasted about 15 months, you need rapid charge to be the exception not the rule.  Nissan Leaf charge controller will only let you use rapid charge once a day, it will then say 'NO' and automatically select a slow charge - it does not matter how big the charger capacity is, the car selects the charge rate to protect battery as much as possible.

The other thing with BEV is the range is calculated at steady 50mph, go on the motorway at 70 or over and your range is about 60% of claimed range - it is all smoke and mirrors, range also drops in cold weather and if roads are wet.. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bit of deja vu for me here.

Go back a couple of decades, in my old Cavalier, that spent most of the time with the dash switch on petrol as there was hardly anywhere to fill up the gas tank in my boot. There was a few but the number of places seemed to rapidly go from hardly any to virtually zero. Surprising really considering how much cheaper it was.

Highlighted
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

@DaveyH wrote:

That 80% figure is important for a number of reasons, if you want to go above 80% you can at least double the time to get to  90%,  another thing is if you regularly go above 80% charge the battery gets damaged every time you do, and they did some rapid charging tests on a Tesla, using rapid charge every day the battery lasted about 15 months, you need rapid charge to be the exception not the rule.  Nissan Leaf charge controller will only let you use rapid charge once a day, it will then say 'NO' and automatically select a slow charge - it does not matter how big the charger capacity is, the car selects the charge rate to protect battery as much as possible.

The other thing with BEV is the range is calculated at steady 50mph, go on the motorway at 70 or over and your range is about 60% of claimed range - it is all smoke and mirrors, range also drops in cold weather and if roads are wet.. 

Exactly this. There's more than most people want to know here

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

And rapid charging shortens the battery life. And those batteries are damned expensive. Once they go mainstream, I wonder how long the ultra long guarantees will last.

And it's still not as quick and convenient as dumping ten gallons of juice in a tank.

And it's great with new batteries, but I wonder what it'll be like when they get older, and like cordless tools the batteries start to get "tired"

I'm a big fan of cordless tools, but they're still a way off being a replacement for corded kit for a lot of applications.

I'm not anti leccy car, but I think there's a way to go.

Highlighted
Champion

Does everyone brim their ICE vehicle tanks constantly. No that would idiotic, carrying around all that extra weight when the reality is most journeys are short. BEV ownership requires a different mindset to oil burners.

But the point is rapid charger networks are there for when you need them. 

The Leaf battery "gate" is down to their lack of thermal management ISTR. 

And there was a case of a Tesla being taxied recently and only ever using rapid chargers and there being little battery depletion despite having done over 400K.

EV batteries are constantly proving to be far more resilient than conceived, but you carry on... Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well let's hope you are right and as I have said many times before I'd love to have an electric vehicle but the cost/lease of those batteries, the cost of the car itself of course and lack of charging points.

Great for the future when it will have to happen but sadly not in my time... and not on my pension. Smiley

And the Nissan leaf?

Cost £32,000 plus battery lease, Charging time 30 minutes to a full day, Miles depending 168 to 240.

Good for the few, bad for the many who for the moment at least will have to "carry on", Sad

Highlighted
Pro

@DaveyH 

Well according to this, it's on it's third battery.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesloop-tesla-model-s-400k-miles-battery-maintenance-cost/

And that's a very specific duty cycle driven on auto pilot.

The maintenance per mile is pretty good though. I wonder what it is with the parts changed under warranty added on.

But you carry on as well.

It's coming, but I'm not convinced yet.

You give these cars to the average person to use and abuse, and I wonder how they'll stand up then. 

ETA link.