Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIO Diesel

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

BIO Diesel

There was much HYPE about BIO diesel, a few years ago.... pundits said it was the "fuel of the future"... and that we would all benefit by it.... BUT>..

Where is it now ?    I don`t remember any special BIO Diesel pumps on any forecourts I have visited , in England or Wales over the past few years.. ( and I have visited quite a few) ..

My skoda is not able to run on it... so not "that" bothered.... but just a thought came to mind.

Anyone else seen a special pump for it..... there`s plenty of those "eco-electric charge" points springing up around the car parks around here...

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Pro

Re: BIO Diesel

But, but, but. . . It's the nasty dreaded diesel type stuff. It will deaded the whole planit!

(Despite the fact that they told us it was better for the environment not that long ago)

The particulates aren't nice though, and it does cause health problems.

I wonder if that's why they stopped pushing it.

I seriously wonder how long it'll be before we're all driving leccy boxes.

Which will not doubt bring it's own set of problems!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well at the moment there is nowhere in the UK where those "leccy boxes" can be recycled. Hopefully that will change as shipping them out to Germany or somewhere similar adds to the overall cost of the vehicle?

Pull into a petrol station and we could be waiting for at least fifteen minutes behind another car while the driver fumbles around and even does a bit of shopping before moving off, so are we now going to have to wait eight hours while the same car but now electric charges up? 

Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Motorists use it pretty much every time they fill up, as the fuel sold on forecourts is of the blended variety these days, i.e it contains up to 5% biofuel ISTR.

Pure biofuel never really caught on for passenger vehicles though and tends to be the the preserve of commercial or industrial operations.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minesapint  Y`know.... I just don`t get this "health" problem with diesel particulates..  When I was a kid...age about 7 or 8, I used to love going to Rougier Street, in York, where I was born, and wander around there... Why? because, although it was not an actual "bus station"... it was the place where all the buses used to collect, and became an "exchange" where you got off one bus to continue your journey elsewhere on another... We are talking Double Deckers, like the famous Routemaster in London...  The buses were hot and smelly... having just completed a probaby 30 or 40 mile route, and the smell of those diesel engine fumes was Mmmm !... loved it..

Our Junior school playground was situated on the corner of a very busy crossroads, traffic light controlled, so, always queues of buses and lorries, and a few cars....  we actually looked out of the bars ( 6 foot iron railing fence ) on to the pavement and traffic 5 feet away... Imagine what that was like in the late 50`s with all those big diesel buses, and lorries... there was a BRS lorry yard opposite too ! ..

I have driven thousands of miles, in this country and abroad, and been stuck in a few traffic jams with no "aircon"... and only the fan to keep me cool, on hot days.. with the windows down... and the fan running, I have been sucking in all those traffic fumes, ..

I am 75 , ... and do not have any breathing problems... no mental health problems, nor any disabilities, ( apart from being almost deaf... but that was due to being a Wireless Telegraphist, in the Royal Navy  earphones clamped on head for 4 hours or more per day... ) .

So... gimme a break on all this Diesel fumes will kill us...    don`t believe a word of it..

Highlighted
Pro

I reckon the whole thing of the leccy boxes hasn't been thought through.

There are a lot of advocates of the "These are wonderful. I'm saving the planet and saving money" variety, but I'm not convinced. Lithium for the batteries, the ecological cost of making the cars, disposing of them after, running them, and all the associated plant and equipment to do that.

And the leccy is only cheap while the government want it to be. 

Get a decent percentage of people using them and it'll be "We're taxing car leccy for the good of the planet (and incidentally to fund our latest cunning plan!)

I don't dislike leccy boxes, I've only been in one, a Prius, but I was fairly impressed with the car itself.

And like you say Minivanman, what about the time taken to bung them full of electrons?

You're going to have people stopped everywhere, because if they can't remember to fill up with petrol. . . 

Highlighted
Pro

@shutter Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried about it myself either, but there is evidence that it's not a good thing.

Let's admit it, breathing in anything you're not supposed to is probably not a good idea.

When I was a kid I lived between a gasworks, a shunting yard (still steam then), and a steelworks, and only yards from a main road.

If you wanted particulates you could find them there alright! The fogs were impressively full of the stuff!

Still times move on, and it's probably better to protect people where possible.

Highlighted
All Star

I read somewhere of a Tesla police car in America that had to give up a chase  because the battery did not have enough power to continueCrazy3

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Bio diesel was the fuel of the future,  someone had the great idea of using land that could be used for food to grow plants to use for bio-diesel, it also resulted in the widespread destruction of rainforest to plant bio-fuel crops. There are no real green answers to human greed, just sticking plasters and smoke and mirror solutions to try to bamboozle people that we are saving the planet.  I just read in our local paper that there is a local company doing great business selling firewood to burn in 'eco-friendly' stoves,  pumping out tar and smoke into the atmosphere - while we use clean burning natural gas shipped from halfway round the world to power electricity generation to heat homes instead of burning gas in domestic boilers at 95% efficiency.  We are stalling on building nuclear power stations, which are the ultimate low carbon power source while building unreliable wind and solar farms on a grand scale, subsidised by the taxpayer and end user. 

Someone will come out soon and say that electric battery vehicles are the new demon, that they take more resources to build than they save and are piling up toxic chemicals for future generations to deal with ........

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 118

As I understand it you cut down rain forests to grow palm oil to turn into bio diesel because bio diesal will stop global warning. Is it just me who has problems with this sort of logic?

I run a hybrid for economic reasons.

Global warning cannot be stopped and the human race is doomed. All that can be done is influence wnen by a short period. It's time that people understood this simple fact and started thinking about reducing the anguish that will be suffered by not too future generations. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@TTman wrote:

I read somewhere of a Tesla police car in America that had to give up a chase  because the battery did not have enough power to continue:crazy3

Roll_eyes

Fake news. ICE powered vehicles are just as capable of running out of fuel if you don't fill them up... 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TTman wrote:

I read somewhere of a Tesla police car in America that had to give up a chase  because the battery did not have enough power to continueCrazy3

Do you mean this @TTman 

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/299166-cops-abandon-high-speed-chase-when-their-tesla-battery-ru...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

It might not seem like it but I have always been an optimist by nature,  but I have to agree there @Baldrick1 and unless we can get off this rock and find another home for our self destructive species we are as you say doomed.

We might stop global warming but who are we kidding, we will not be able to stop making a mess of the place as we seek to feed billions without end and fulfil needs without the means. Some will survive of course and we know who they are, but at a terrible cost to the rest.

If our planet was a house, you'd never get a mortgage on it given the level of environmental debt we are in even if we stopped spending t'morrow.

Happy days... or not. Shocked

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Yeah [-Censored-] future generations! 

Let's all carry on regardless Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

Running out of fuel whether petrol or electric does not make it fake news... or does it?