Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIO Diesel

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: BIO Diesel

It makes me wonder what will happen with all the terraced housing with little to no off-street parking, all the cables dragged across the footpaths to keep the EVs charged at home, it'll be a right ol' trip hazard for pedestrians, assuming one can get to park outside one's home given the 3-car nature of some peoples' houses... Huh

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

There's a couple of on street charging solutions that'll work in that situation.

Firstly theres now several company's rolling out charge points installed in/on lamp-posts.

And there's another that's currently developing some rather nifty Pop-Up charge points

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

That's great but what will it cost for a recharge? Most of the advertising blurb base their 'fuel' costs on the assumption that people connect to a home charger on Economy 7, which I believe costs about 4p per KWh. For comparison purposes I understand that Shell garages charge nearly 10 times as much at 39p per KWh. This makes interesting reading https://www.whatcar.com/news/electric-vehicle-charging-%E2%80%93-what-does-it-really-cost/n16833  Of course if you're on an economy 7 tariff you also have to pay extra for your normal daytime electricity use - that seems to have got lost along the way.

Electric car manufacturers also seem to assume that people only drive (carefully of course) in daylight when the temperature is temperate. Freezing cold dark days when lights and heater are required seem to be ignored.

My self charging hybrid consistently costs between 9p and 10p per mile in petrol. I personally doubt that any electric car that has to be charged from one of these public charging points will beat this.

I guess that it's horses for courses. As a second car for shopping and taking the kids to school, with home charging facilities it's probably just the job especially if you live in a city and it saves a congestion charge, or whatever it's called these days.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Supposedly with smart meters (probably not the current ones, but "later generation", ones) being linked to the car chargers would give access to cheaper electricity during off-peak times, of course, creating a peak demand for car-charging would mean that the former off-peak of night-time electrickery (when storage heaters and hot water tanks would have normally been powered up, helping with load-balancing on the grid) would become peak-time power to keep the electric boogaloos going, so would mean that electricity costs for E7 users would most likely become Uneconomy 7...

It's all very confusing thinking about it at times...

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

What's the situation with regard to parking a petrol car in a space with a charging point either in a car park or on a road?

Are the "electric" bays only for those with expensive cars?

BTW My car is 10 years old. Thumbs_Up

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Probably lots of tutting from the EV driver, them looking about for sympathy, receiving none, and then moving on to another place to charge up... Grin