cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIG ISSUE

pin2011
Grafter

BIG ISSUE

I wonder if you have the plethora of big issue vendors in your area. I find they are so prolific in this part of the country that I just avoid them or say 'no thanks' and get the customary 'have a nice day' as if this would make me part with money for something I don't want. They always appear outside of the main shops like M&S or the banks as if that is where the 'soft touches' are. This reminds me of the tele program showing Romanian beggars in London who were operating the begging from passers by as a 'business'. They were followed back to Romania where they had BMW 4x4 and other expensive cars to transport them back and forth to London. Crazy
7 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BIG ISSUE

Yes we have them in Middlesbrough, thay stand outside the maine Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer's, I get the same come on from them.  Angry
Community Veteran

I do not give to Big Issue sellers.  We have one who stands outside our Sainsbury's supermarket.  She is dropped off and collected in a Merc.  She talks on a mobile phone and pops into the store to buy her lunch. It's now a business.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I bought one once when I was staying somewhere. The bloke looked a real scruffy desperate looking fella so I thought sure, I'll buy one.
Walked around the corner and there was another seller asking me to buy. I apologised and said I'd just bought one from another seller. Shockingly this one got pushy saying it was a different issue and I MUST buy it. I again said no thanks and that I'd given the previous seller tha last of my change. I continued walking only to find this seller started to follow me. I had to leg it.
Not impressed. The OH does however buy them frequently in our town. I was horrified when they came home saying "I accidentally asked the bloke if he was going home after he finished work"  Shocked I was really shocked!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jmd
Grafter

We have Big Issue sellers in town and they are not pushy.  They sell those to avoid being on benefit generally as if they do well they have a decent income, and also to get themselves out of homelessness.
see http://www.bigissue.org.uk/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like many things, in the early days it was a good idea and did a lot of good but sadly if there is money to be made others move in to exploit it so you no longer know who is genuine and who is not.
Community Veteran

I always thought the BI cost £1.  I was surprised to see in a recent press article it costs £2.50 Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`ve never bought one, although I have seen the sellers around.... I don`t buy newspapers or magazines, so, can someone please enlighten me as to what the contents of the Big Issue are about?