cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Broadband offer the UK's cheapest standalone broadband service

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BE Broadband offer the UK's cheapest standalone broadband service

Well according to thinkbroadband they do!
This morning, BE Broadband has reduced the price of its BE Value product from £13.50 to £7.50 making it the UK's cheapest standalone broadband service.

I suggest that anyone on Plusnet Value on a Market 3 exchange paying £5.99 per month bombards thinkbroadband with comments.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
14 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: BE Broadband offer the UK's cheapest standalone broadband service

Perhaps TBB could argue that the BE Valuie product was "cheapest" in the sense of "best value" although not  the "lowest price". The BE product is for 40GB p.m. instead of Plusnet Value's 10GB p.m.
(However, the Plusnet product offers unmetered downloads from 00:00 to 08:00 and does not require a one year contract).
community
Grafter

Quote from: alanf

(However, the Plusnet product offers unmetered downloads from 00:00 to 08:00 and does not require a one year contract).

Egzakly....no contest then! Wink
Community Veteran

PlusNet Value is (slightly) cheaper on  Market 3 exchanges, i.e. the larger ones.
Be Value is only available where they have their LLU kit, mainly the larger ones.
(Though I do have Be but am not Market 3)
The availability of these services will probably be similar though not identical, but  a lot of people on smaller exchanges are likely to be left out of both. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: alanf
However, the Plusnet product offers unmetered downloads from 00:00 to 08:00 and does not require a one year contract).

Yeah but try ever using those unmetered download times. I did twice and gave up.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I've just challenged Seb's statement, on TBB, that Value has a longer contract.
I think a few of us are on Value at £5.99 ( Market 3) and perfectly happy with what we get for the money.
Back in April 2002 I thought £23.44/month for 512k was a good deal - how times have changed  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Me too - I have to wonder why Seb ignored Plusnet value in his original post until jelv pointed it out and he then referred to ADSL2+ with an 8Mb downstream limit
Community Veteran

and I now know why (flagged up to staff) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/plusnet/package/896.html
Community Veteran

I've just had (yet) another look at the PN web site and it's still not clear what the contract term is for Value.
The 12-months minimum for "free" router and connection is clearly stated but minimum term and notice period are not.  Angry
Community Veteran

I just checked the Legal T&C and it refers to the Price Guide  http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html and I am puzzled.
It appears to state in Table 5 that there is a set up charge of £40 even if a user migrates in with a MAC - is this actually correct.
It gives different prices in Table 1 and Table 2 (obviously depending on whether the exchange is Market 3 or not) but that is not at all clear. The actual wording is
3. The following rentals in Table 1 will apply for customers who ordered Plusnet Broadband on or after 17th February 2009 and who have not had a Plusnet Broadband service immediately before that date.
4. The rental pricing for these services is subject to availability in your area. If your home cannot be connected to the broadband service supplied with this package, you may still be able to get an alternative broadband service from Plusnet at an additional charge as detailed in Table 2.
nadger
Rising Star

Albeit I've been defending Plusnet Value, on TBB, I might have a different point of view where I to need more bandwidth.
Community Veteran

So might I if I could get it on my exchange  Embarrassed
nadger
Rising Star

It's been on my exchange for 3 years.
Community Veteran

I'm still hoping one day Plusnet will introduce an ‘option 2’ product – the £10 jump from Value to Premium is quite expansive; PN could do with something in the middle for people like me who want more than 10GB but don't necessarily want a whopping 80GB.
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
I think a few of us are on Value at £5.99 ( Market 3) and perfectly happy with what we get for the money.

I agree  Smiley